Log splitter abuse II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/45363/) because after dropping my splitter at a service center for a cracked weld on the wedge I got a call back saying it would not be covered under the warranty because the service guy informed the manufacture the splitter looks to have been abused.

The splitter in question is a Huskee 28 ton with about 7 cords run through it. The service center was Peach Country Tractor in Richwood NJ. Now, before I took it there I spoke with the guys at Speeco and they told me to bring it in and have it replaced since as of October they don't ship parts to homeowners. When Peach Country told me what he told the Speeco guys I called Speeco and they told me they would get right back to me. After seeing photos of the "abused" wedge they told the service center to go ahead and replace it under warranty. This is one of the reasons I bought the Huskee, support.

Well about 2 weeks go by and I figure I better call and see what's up with my splitter. A worker answers and says Dan, the head guy is busy and asks what he can do for me. I ask about the progress of my splitter and he informs me they had to order a new beam because they split mine trying to force the wrong wedge on which was sent by mistake.

At this point smoke starts coming out my ears and I ask to talk to Dan. Dan comes on the line and I ask about my splitter. He tells me he is still waiting on the wedge. I ask why he is lying to me. He insists he is waiting on the wedge. Then I inform him his worker told me the beam was damaged trying to install the wrong wedge and ask why he is lying to me. He says he's not lying and he is in fact waiting on the right sized wedge, oh and a beam. Then I let loose asking how he felt after trying to deny my warranty claim by saying I abused the splitter when in fact I could not come up with one way a splitter could be abused, (until now) and to top it off they abused the splitter trying to fix it. His reply was "calm down your getting a new beam" to which I replied " there was nothing wrong with the beam when I dropped it off". No apology was offered. The only positive thing they did was not hesitate to replace the beam. It only was a half inch crack that would not affect a thing and could have been easily repaired.

I still can't imagine what they did to split the lip on that thing but I do know now how it is possible to abuse your log splitter, take it to Peach Country in Richwood NJ.

BTW the guys at Speeco were top notch through the whole thing. They stand behind their product and customers. I would definitely buy from them again.

I assume you have your splitter back, all is good and this is a post-mortem rant?

I would suggest calling Speeco and telling them what kind of treatment you got and where with the name of the head guy. I am sure the company would like to hear about how their dealers or warranties are handled.

Good luck with the rebuilt one.

Shipper

Do you have it back ? I was following the original thread and was wondering why there was no update. The update is just as scary with that service center, is there another service center anywhere near you ? Hopefully you will never need one again though. I would have lost my cool long before you, I give you credit.

I think that i would be lookin for a new splitter, at the service centers cost. they could keep the old one though!!! :mad:

PINEBURNER said:
I think that i would be lookin for a new splitter, at the service centers cost. they could keep the old one though!!! :mad:

LOL, yes get them to give you a whole new splitter. Then they will have a repaired splitter on the lot - post here and someone looking for a splitter can go in and get a great deal too!

Yes I got the splitter back last Wednesday and Speeco knows what went on with the whole ordeal. Actually I like the look of the solid black beam without the Huskee logo better. The reason I posted here was to make people in my area aware of the way Peach Country Tractor does business so they can avoid them.

JoeyD said:
Yes I got the splitter back last Wednesday and Speeco knows what went on with the whole ordeal. Actually I like the look of the solid black beam without the Huskee logo better. The reason I posted here was to make people in my area aware of the way Peach Country Tractor does business so they can avoid them.
you can be the handiest, most talented, and most competent mechanic (etc) in the world, but that doesn't matter one lick if you aren't 100% honest.

Thats a crappy story Joey. I hate dealing with dishonest business people. Hopefully nobody will frequent that business, at least from this board.

Another update to the story.

A friend is going to be using my log splitter next week and I wanted to give it a good once over before bringing it to him. Tonight I checked the fluids and found the hydraulic fluid to be just below the low mark on the dip stick. Now I know it was good last summer when I was using it and there are no leaks so can I only assume they lost the oil from the hoses and the cylinder when they had it apart?

I am going to just replace the missing oil myself but I do plan to give Speeco another call and let them know. I might as well change the motor oil also because at this point I have no idea what these people did after I had Speeco talk to them.

Beware of Peach Country Tractor in South Jersey!!!

that shouldn't have anything to do with hoses expanding or anything, should it? I'm not familiar with splitters, and yours is too new to have that sort of problem, I imagine. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

If it had have been me they would have had a cop showing up to drag me off of the property ... and Dan. :mad:

Danno77 said:
that shouldn't have anything to do with hoses expanding or anything, should it? I'm not familiar with splitters, and yours is too new to have that sort of problem, I imagine. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Hydraulic hoses are pretty substantial, they have to be in order to handle the pressures in the system - might get enough expansion over the life of a hose to need an extra teaspoon of oil - if that...

Hydraulic oil is pretty stable stuff, it doesn't evaporate, and while you may lose a SMALL amount over a long time due to the film on the cylinder rod, for all intents and purposes the only way you'd see a noticeable drop is if you either had a leak, or someone let the oil out - i.e. while servicing... BTW, if all that was done was to swap the wedge and beam, I can't see why there would have been ANY reason to break any connection on the hydraulic system... It would almost be enough to make me want to change the hydraulic fluid as well as the engine oil...

Gooserider

I thought those guys were idiots when you first reported their abuse allegation. To think that so called professional wrenches would claim user abuse on a poor weld is totally bogus...it's not like this was the 1st one they could have seen...it happens all the time.

Besides all that...that's what they get payed to do fix things. What's in it for them to jinx your warranty?

On my next call to Speeco I would ask for a warranty extension and if they refuse, a new splitter.
I would go over that thing with a fine tooth comb. Knowing the track record of that repair center and the fact that you basically nailed the guy for lying, and wrongfully accusing you of abusing the splitter, then his shop doing exactly that, he may have set it up to fail after a while then no warranty and you are stuck.

I'm going to call Speeco tomorrow. So far they have been pretty supportive and I hope that they continue to be. At this point I just want to cover my backside. I don't want any problems down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.