Log splitter advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure it works with minimal (if any) leakage or noise (like pump whine). Excessive beam wear (by the looks of the pic, that should not be an issue) Engine runs good, no smoke or rattles. No broken welds. Even the big boys are pretty basic units. Engine, pump, cylinder (in your case 3 of them), hoses and control valves.

Make sure it works with minimal (if any) leakage or noise (like pump whine). Excessive beam wear (by the looks of the pic, that should not be an issue) Engine runs good, no smoke or rattles. No broken welds. Even the big boys are pretty basic units. Engine, pump, cylinder (in your case 3 of them), hoses and control valves.

Thanks jags! I appreciate it.

Bring a few pieces to split. Make sure it goes into high and low speed"

The ad says 11hp and 6 second cycle so I'm guessing it has a 4 inch cylinder. The 6 way wedge may be too much for that combo if that's an issue for you... Maybe it has a 4.5" cylinder with a large rod to keep cycle times down?

I'd want to see how it does on the the 4 way wedge as well. To be most productive you want it to be able handle a four way wedge in most of the wood you typically have.

Make sure the auto cycle is working properly. If you engage both levers on the valve the cylinder should extend completely and return on its own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.