log splitter issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonyconcrete

Feb 14, 2015
UK
Hi I'm having problems with my log splitter . I've been using it for the last couple of days but yesterday the plunger pushed so far onto the wood , it didn't split the log and wouldn't return when I pulled the leavers back , I knocked the log out with a rubber hammer but the plunger stayed where it was . I decided to check the hydraulic fluid level to find the Allan key screw the the fluid goes in was loose but the fluid level was fine . I tightened the screw but the plunger still won't move ! Has anyone any ideas !!!!! Many thanks Rick

Post a picture of the unit please.

image.jpg

It kinda sounds like the nut came loose inside the cylinder. I had one do that and it would only extend and didn't matter which way you moved the lever. Are you sure the hydraulic pump is working?

The return on this type of splitter is not hydraulically driven. It is a spring return. Make sure that the wedge is not binding in any way.

Hydraulics only come into play on the "push" side of this splitter, so I doubt it is a hydraulic issue.

The return on this type of splitter is not hydraulically driven. It is a spring return. Make sure that the wedge is not binding in any way.

Hydraulics only come into play on the "push" side of this splitter, so I doubt it is a hydraulic issue.

When pulling the handle for return does it release any kind of pressure so the spring return can work?

When pulling the handle for return does it release any kind of pressure so the spring return can work?

I guess I cannot speak for all build types, but the one that I own (HF), the handle really only actuates forward motion. You don't pull the handle to return but simply release the handle.

I guess I cannot speak for all build types, but the one that I own (HF), the handle really only actuates forward motion. You don't pull the handle to return but simply release the handle.

I was just wondering because the one I have is a Speeco and it will return by releasing the handle but is very slow.
If I pull the handle to release it will return very fast.

I was just wondering because the one I have is a Speeco and it will return by releasing the handle but is very slow.
If I pull the handle to release it will return very fast.

The HF variety has two positions. Not pushing (released) and pushing (forward motion). It actually retracts pretty fast. Probably double the push speed.

You could confirm or deny the return being hydraulically driven by following the circuits to the hydro cylinder. If there is only a feed to one end it is for the "push" circuit only. If a pipe/hose/tubing is found to feed both ends, then it is very likely a hydro in and out. I have not seen one of the little guys in this config, but willingly acknowledge that I am not intimate with all the build designs.

Ok I get it. Thanks for that info that makes more sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.