Log splitter pics ?..?..?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good spot on the handle, Jags. I cut no longer than 20" (because thats what fits in the furnace) so they clear but if I cut any longer I may have a problem. That's the thing that I've been stewing about. Thinking about what metal I have on hand and devising a plan to rebuild the whole jack / hitch arrangement. Thanks for the compliment. It works very good and strong too.

Happy Splitting,
Charlie

It is a neat unit, though my personal preference is for horizontal / vertical capability (and I use almost exclusively vertical)... I recently opted to buy a 30 ton unit from HF, and am very happy with it, but had considered trying to build something that would have taken advantage of a lawn tractor, or possibly a snow-blower back end - However between the time to design and build requirement and the fact that I'd need to buy everything needed, thus probably not save a lot on the costs made me decide to go with a pre-built...

However I'd thought it would have been cool to do something that used the tractor as a propulsion unit as well as a motor - One of the things that kind of bugs me is the shear number of small gas engines I need to keep going - Snowblower, Lawntractor, generator, tiller, splitter, etc... All similar size 4-stroke engines on equipment that is fairly seldom used, and in many cases where the "business part" is the smallest part of the equipment's storage "footprint".

I wish someone would create a "home-owner scale" version of a farm tractor that was reasonably priced and could drive multiple attachments with ONE engine and some sort of quick change setup... Possibly even something that was two wheeled with a "seat-trailer" like some of the commercial lawnmower setups I've seen...

Gooserider

I wish someone would create a "home-owner scale" version of a farm tractor that was reasonably priced and could drive multiple attachments with ONE engine and some sort of quick change setup... Possibly even something that was two wheeled with a "seat-trailer" like some of the commercial lawnmower setups I've seen...

Gooserider[/quote]

Something along these lines? Quality is expensive!
http://www.ferrari-tractors.com/walking.htm

On a more affordable note, there's the Gravely (http://www.stevenchalmers.com/Gravely/16HPChainSaw.shtml)
and don't forget about the old Bolens garden tractors and others. Any pto splitter and generator could also be easily adapted to run off of one of these units.

Gooserider said:

Gooserider

How about these Kubotas or Masseys?

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/tractor.cfm

http://www.masseyferguson.com/agco/MF/NA/Tractors/MFGC/GC.htm

kenny chaos said:

Gooserider

I run an old IH 606 gas tractor made in 1962, its 55 hp, 3pth plenty of hydraulic get up and go. It plows the driveway, skids logs, splits wood etc and so forth. And their cheap and built like tanks. I have about 2500 into mine. Friends of mine also run older IHs including a 574, 434, B414 and a farmall 400. With the exception of the B414 (which is British and the 434 which is Canadian) the parts are cheap and available. I farm partime with my parents and use Deeres for the real farmwork but its handy to have a tractor at my place, but I couldn't justify the "deere tax" or the payments on a new compact tractor.

Gee, seems like I started something :coolsmile: Lots of interesting suggestions, though it seems like many are more than a bit of "overkill" for what I had in mind. Probably the Gravelly setup comes closest, but even that I'm not so sure about... They all seemed targetted at the really big job type users, where what I had in mind is the homeowner with say a 1/2 to one acre lot, and no really extreme jobs. In many ways I think one of the best "chassis" to start with might be a snowblower drive box - it gives you a compact engine and transmission, with a fairly easy access to the engine drive shaft and / or a driven pulley, and a not unreasonably cumbersome frame to bolt atttachments to...

Gooserider

Huskee 35 Ton Vertical/Horizontal Light Commercial Log splitter, 12.5 HP

This splitter is an animal! Its almost over-kill for home use.

Its never bogged down or shown any sign of weakness.

I split a 36" gnarly round of Cherry like it was a warm knife through butter.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34399_______14455|14461|34399?listingPage=true&Special=false

Hiram Maxim said:
Huskee 35 Ton Vertical/Horizontal Light Commercial Log splitter, 12.5 HP

This splitter is an animal! Its almost over-kill for home use.

Its never bogged down or shown any sign of weakness.

I split a 36" gnarly round of Cherry like it was a warm knife through butter.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34399_______14455|14461|34399?listingPage=true&Special=false

I agree it's a nice unit, I'd looked at it when I was shopping... Trouble was it had a price tag that was WAY higher than my 30ton / 9hp / 16gpm / 5" cylinder Harbor Freight splitter, not to mention the hassle of having to go pick it up (as opposed to HF delivering it to my door and then me having to put it together... The other downside about it is the same as just about all the other splitters I've seen other than the HF unit - it has a trailer tongue which means that you have a big storage space requirement - my HF unit uses the beam for the trailer hitch, so if I tilt the beam up when storing, it will only take a space about 3' x 3' for the beam platform and the axle / engine / tank assembly, or about 1/3 the space any other splitter will need...

Powerwise, I'm down a bit on your machine, but I've not found anything that stops mine yet, including some really gnarly oak and maple crotches... What it can't split, it shears, and what it can't shear it crushes... Most of the time I don't even hear it detectably kicking into the second stage of the pump.

Gooserider

Yeah the Over all length might be a problem for some. It is nice that its easily mobile & movable. Like I said its probably a little overkill for around the house use.

ccwhite said:
Howdy Yall. I'm new here been looking for a while and finally decided to join and post some pics. I needed a log splitter and considered buying but couldn't talk myself into spending that much money on something so simple. After seeing a friends homemade splitter I thought hey I can do that!! So I did. I'm sure there are a lot of bigger badder splitters out there, but this one is mine and not from Tractor Supply. As far as what it is .... Sears 16hp Riding mower lopped in half, 16gpm 2 stage 3000psi pump from Tractor Supply, 4" cylinder w/24" stroke from local farm machinery auction(came with a prince splitter valve with return detent but no handle so the handle is the original tractor gear shift modified to work), 8" heavy I beam from Scrap pile at local steel mill (Used to be holding up a big water tank), House trailer axle shortened to 5' with a 5" C-channel backbone and extra gussets for strength (probably overkill), Propane tank for hydraulic reservoir (holds 5 gallon), Splitting wedge is the cutting edge of a dozer blade about 11" tall backed with a piece of C-channel and some flat plate to really open 'em up quick, used 1 1/2" angle to make the guides for the push block (also serves as a log cradle)originally were 1/8" stock but broke loose once with a really knotted chunk of locust so now beefed up to 1/4" (no more trouble). Anyway I love it and I'm proud of it. Besides ... its the only log splitter I've ever seen with headlights. :cheese:

I have more photos and better quality had to scrunch em down to put em on here. Lemme know what yall think. Everyone I know thinks I'm a nut. LOL

Happy Splitting,
Charlie

That is SWEET!!! Im so jealous

My wife wanted me to take her over to Home Depot a couple of weeks ago, I really did not want to go, but the I remembered I could look at stoves and drool over the splitters. I checked out the swishers and thought they were real nice. Then I spotted a Cub Cadet which looked slightly used, It was marked $799.00 WOW. The salesman explained it was a Reconditioned unit, He told me it had blown a hose and they fixed it. He then said Let me see what I can do on it for better price, He came back and told me it has been hard to start and he could sell it to me for $600.00. My wife said ok and I splurged. Now all I have to do is get it starting better, when its below 40 it wont start and is hard starting at 55. but it runs great if you can start it.
splitter.jpg

CTBurner said:
My wife wanted me to take her over to Home Depot a couple of weeks ago, I really did not want to go, but the I remembered I could look at stoves and drool over the splitters. I checked out the swishers and thought they were real nice. Then I spotted a Cub Cadet which looked slightly used, It was marked $799.00 WOW. The salesman explained it was a Reconditioned unit, He told me it had blown a hose and they fixed it. He then said Let me see what I can do on it for better price, He came back and told me it has been hard to start and he could sell it to me for $600.00. My wife said ok and I splurged. Now all I have to do is get it starting better, when its below 40 it wont start and is hard starting at 55. but it runs great if you can start it.
splitter.jpg

Hurry go buy that lottery ticket too. Great find!!!!

James thanks for the compliment on my splitter and nice snag yourself there. As far as the hard starting goes probably easy fix with new spark plug, air filer and fresh gas. Probably been sitting for a while with the same gas in it being a refurb. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.