Log splitter - rental vs purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a splitter and you'll always have plenty of friends and happy neighbors. ;) :)

firefighterjake +1.
Purchased my splitter (see signature) three years ago and enjoy the freedom to split when and where I want. Had to extend myself financially to make the purchase but "Buyer's Remorse" has never entered my mind. ;)

Edit on 3/28/2012: Farmer friend called me at 2:00 PM yesterday and asked if I could bring my splitter and help him split about 2.5 cords of rounds.Rain was predicted for today so we had to complete the job yesterday. Started splitting at 2:30 and finished at 6:45. We worked our butts off but enjoyed the working together. That kind of immediate response is not possible if one has to rent a splitter.:)

The best purchase I've made in the last 5 years is my wood fired boiler....2nd best is my hydrualic spltter :)

Call me a lier, but I can tell you we did it. It was a long day of non stop splitting, but preparation is the key. BTW, we are talking FACE cords, not many people talk full cords around here.

Au contraire, most everyone here who has more than a handful of posts to his credit speaks in terms of CORDS and means a full, legal, cord. Those that don't, at least clarify by using the term FACE CORD though FACE CORD has no true, defined value. I think many people talk in Face cords as an ego boosting numbers inflater. Or a numbers boosting ego inflater.

As to the original question, I debated this last summer. I had a bunch of wood bucked up ready to be split. Couldn't hardly face it in our 105 degree (and up) heat. I considered renting. A couple of days would have cost me about $150. But I found a new, absolutely unused, Huskee 35 that had been in storage for six or seven years. Had never had a drop of gasoline in the tank! $1000. I couldn't pass that up. I sold three items on eBay that netted me over a thousand bucks. I had the room to store it so that was not an issue. I like the convenience of being able to pull it out anytime I want, rather than waiting to split until I have enough to justify a rental. I reckon I can keep it for several years and sell it for more than I paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.