Log Splitter Table

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Got bored today and added a table to the Splitter. I have seen many others that have done it. I had some plate steel lying around (I work in a Steel Mill)..

Cut to size, drilled holes, and painted. Figured I would share. I took pics after I used it. They were a liuttle dark. Also noticed that my 2 coats of paint are not going to last for nothing.... But having something large enough to hold the other half of the round. (Yes Dennis, If its under 18", I split Horizontal) is really nice. If its over 18", Its all Vertical. Pics attached.....

Also Ran the 036 for quite awile today.. Man I love that Saw.

Attachments

• Log Splitter Table 2.jpg
    Log Splitter Table 2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,844
  • Log Splitter Table 3.jpg
    Log Splitter Table 3.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 4,378
  • Stihl on Wood Rounds.jpg
    Stihl on Wood Rounds.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 3,458
  • IMG-20110806-00053.jpg
    IMG-20110806-00053.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,613
Nice work!

Of course we all know this is just an excuse for you to post pictures of your pale white ash.

Now THERE'S a guy who spends a LOT of time in his yard!!

-Soupy1957

Looks great. When you drop an 18" diameter round on it, what do you do with the half that is still in your hand? Do you have a table to the right? I have been thinking about this as well and have thought that it would be nice to almost have an L shaped bench that sits on top of the the splitter around the operator's station.

Very nice.

As usual Dex...SWEET!

Nice looking work. I am curious on how you will like the performance of the angled table instead of a flat work table. With my lift, it seconds as a work table (also and outfeed table) and I have the ability to use it at any angle. I choose just "slightly" angled towards the beam if not flat. Basically, I am wondering if that table is going to allow the other half of a split to wiggle down into your work zone???

Looks good!
I have had to have my mower fixed by a local welder twice this summer and each time I had him reinforce the repairs. I liked his work so he's coming over this week to look at my splitter and give me a price for a bolt on cradle/table set up. These things save so much "picking up". He should have mine done in a week or so...just in time for some splitting parties!

Used it a little last night on some Ash that was about 16" in Diameter. The angle isn't bad, its the same angle that the small factory "cradle" is on. The half seemed to "Fit and Sit" pretty well. The cost was nothing, just stuff I had lying around. The paint won't last long and I do see myself upgrading from the current set-up. Having a larger work area is always better

And Yes Soupy I like my lawn to be "Groomed". Me and my neighbor are always battling to see who has the nicer lawn. When I get rid of my Cub Cadet Zero Turn and get my Dixie Chopper (74"/Diesel) there will be no contest.

Attachments

• Cut%20Grass.jpg
    Cut%20Grass.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 652
DexterDay said:
The angle isn't bad, its the same angle that the small factory "cradle" is on. The half seemed to "Fit and Sit" pretty well.

That sounds good. I just look at things in relation to what I do (or am used to). I work up a lot of large logs and thought to myself - I don't think half of one of my logs would "fit" on the table. %-P Just looking at it from a different point of view.

Glad to hear that it is working well.

Good deal. With shipping, how much for one sent to Alaska? :)
Looks professional made.
If the paint don't hold up, spray some oil on it to help prevent rust,

Looks good. Anything that cuts down on the amount of work to process wood is a plus. How do you like the 25" on the 036? I just got one that came with a 16" and I bought a 20" for it. I'd like to have something bigger for the occasional big stuff I run into.

Flatbedford said:
Looks good. Anything that cuts down on the amount of work to process wood is a plus. How do you like the 25" on the 036? I just got one that came with a 16" and I bought a 20" for it. I'd like to have something bigger for the occasional big stuff I run into.

So far I like the 20".. The 25", I have only used a couple times before the oiler quit altogether. I would think the 25" would be great if I got a skipper for it. But the balance is much ber=tter w/ 20" on it. Little nose heavy with the 25". IMO

The table works pretty good. Although I am going to turn the bolts upside down. The "Halfs" seem to stay put, but some have drifted down becuase of vibration (You were right Jags).Only split a few yesterday, so I never noticed. . By flipping the bolts, it will put 2" of bolt up in the air to act like a stop. Other than that, I am pretty pleased. Much better than it was..

Attachments

• Splitter table in use 1.jpg
    Splitter table in use 1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 840
  • Splitter table in use 2.jpg
    Splitter table in use 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 864
  • Splitter table in use 3.jpg
    Splitter table in use 3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 720
DexterDay said:
(You were right Jags).

I NEVER tire of hearing that. :coolsmile:

Naaa...it is not about right or wrong, but function. You may find that the bolts will work as a stop and all is well, or you may find yourself leveling out the table - what ever. What is important is that it works for you.

Jags said:
What is important is that it works for you.

lol and then you find yourself staring at that 30" round of Oak you just brought home thinking you need a bigger table.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

lol and then you find yourself staring at that 30" round of Oak you just brought home thinking you need a bigger table.

Or bigger.... :lol:

Attachments

• IMG00024sm.jpg
    IMG00024sm.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 472
lol, that 30" round was about all I think we could get into the trailer without knocking it down.

With the bolts upside down it should be a lot easier to give them a quick tightening as needed if and when they vibrate loose.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

If they are that big... It goes Vertical. I go BackWoodSavage Style on it,.... Thats why the table does not extend past the end... Just in case. If you noticed in the background. I still have some pretty Big Maple's to bust up. A couple are to heavy to lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.