Log splitter wont start. need some info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
So i have been splitting a bunch of wood lately and i was about to start this morning.

I got the old girl running on the 3rd pull or so no problem. split a few pieces then the splitter died. i figured it was out of gas. i refilled and then i tried to restart. nothing. didnt want to pull too many times to flood the engine.
i proceeded to clean the plug, check for any leaks, checked oil and added a little.

i went back after that was all done and tried to pull start it, now the i can barely pull the rope start.

how bad is this?

MTD splitter, 26 ton, i think its a briggs and stratton

Pull the plug and see how it turns over
Pos hydro lock

You may be right
But first try disconnecting the splitter pump
it may be something in the hydraulics
You can buy replacement engines at a
decent price

not even sure how to disconnect the splitter pump. i got down to the fly wheel and i couldnt budge it

Ya sounds seized. Could try and spray some deep creep in cylinder but from your description I think she may have ate the rings can you pop head of easily and have a look?

As stated above, first disconnect the pump from the engine. It could be the pump has seized, not the engine. If it turns over without the pump attached then it's not the engine.

im gonna look through some manuals and watch some videos about removing the pump. will be good to know that its the engine for sure.
i think i will need a braker bar or soemthing to get the flywheel off.

Many people have replaced their motors with the predator Honda clones from HF. Check the pump first though.

If you replace the engine pay attention to the shaft length. My MTD Briggs engine had a shaft that was shorter than the HF engine. Easy fix but something to pay attention to.

Reactions: Fred Wright
i think i will need a braker bar or soemthing to get the flywheel off.

A little flywheel puller for that engine will cost ya around ten bucks. Cheaper than trashing the engine prying on the flywheel.

A little flywheel puller for that engine will cost ya around ten bucks. Cheaper than trashing the engine prying on the flywheel.

Or borrow it from autozone or similar.

Yeah I tend to forget that they have those loaners. At nine miles to the gallon with the 454 going and getting it and taking it back costs me more than just firing up amazon.com. <>

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Yeah I tend to forget that they have those loaners. At nine miles to the gallon with the 454 going and getting it and taking it back costs me more than just firing up amazon.com. <>

I do the same with amazon for many things. But since the wife drives by an autozone everyday on the way home, there's been more than once she's stopped for me to save us a buck.

If you pulled it a few times after it stalled and it cranked ok might not be the motor. The pump may be the problem.

Probably not the issue but make sure you didn't completely overfill the oil.

Got a harbor freight motor for mine this year runs great. $100

When it died, was it in the middle of splitting ??....could it possibly be the pump is engaged when you're trying to start it ??....make sure the handle is back in the neutral position

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
When it died, was it in the middle of splitting ??....could it possibly be the pump is engaged when you're trying to start it ??....make sure the handle is back in the neutral position
it was indeed in the middle of splitting. will try this when i get back home.

it was indeed in the middle of splitting. will try this when i get back home.

it could be a hydraulic lock. Cycle the valve forwards and backwards a couple of times, and insure that it is in the middle position when you try to turn over the engine.
I am still unsure of why you have to do anything with the flywheel?? The pump should be mounted on the output shaft via a lovejoy connection. Remove set screw and slide one half of the lovejoy backwards. Nothing too it.
If the pump is loose and you still can't turn it over, it sounds like its motor time.

If you replace the engine pay attention to the shaft length. My MTD Briggs engine had a shaft that was shorter than the HF engine. Easy fix but something to pay attention to.
i already called smallenginewarehouse.com, they have a direct replacement with same shaft for 115.

it could be a hydraulic lock. Cycle the valve forwards and backwards a couple of times, and insure that it is in the middle position when you try to turn over the engine.
I am still unsure of why you have to do anything with the flywheel?? The pump should be mounted on the output shaft via a lovejoy connection. Remove set screw and slide one half of the lovejoy backwards. Nothing too it.
If the pump is loose and you still can't turn it over, it sounds like its motor time.
you might be onto something. as soon as splitter stopped. it was harder and harder and harder to the point where i couldnt pull anymore. i figure if it seized then it would have just stopped and i wouldnt be able to get any pulls on the splitter.

ok i did not get a chance to remove the pump from the bottom of the engine. the control lever was stuck in reverse. i was able to get it into neutral and tried ot pull start and it barely budged.

***also, was suggested to remove spark plug and then pull start. i tried with the same result as above.

Last edited:
Let me know if you need any help or advice. I'm not far from you. I used to repair small equipment/ hydraulics in a past life. This does sound hydraulic related. I don't think it's the motor.

Let me know if you need any help or advice. I'm not far from you. I used to repair small equipment/ hydraulics in a past life. This does sound hydraulic related. I don't think it's the motor.
that is highly appreciated. my main question is since its a vertical engine, and the pump is right below, when i try to remove the pump will this spill fluid on the ground?

Don't remove any lines. Nothing will leak. You are just physically un bolting the whole pump from the engine. Once it's pulled off the shaftof the motor you can give the motor a quick pull with the spark plug out. It should pull right over easily. I have a feeling it's the hydraulic control valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.