log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad wilton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2014
quebec
looking for pro logsplitter something that can handle heavy duty cycles plan on starting firewood company . any suggestions would be appreciated

Look into fire wood processors.
Start at 8 to 10 grand US

Timberwolf makes log splitters/processors. I would take a look at them.

The cost of a processor is a gamble if the business don't pan out. Might want to start with a good splitter, and see how it goes. Unless of course, you have that kind of dough to burn.

Not a processor, but might be worth a look. Google Supersplit log splitter.
Used to run one for a firewood seller. I loved that machine, wish I could afford one. Much cheaper than a processor though.
Counter balance system, very fast. Some fear it due to how fast it operates, never had a safety issue in the years I used it.
Granted it is not a processor, but less impact on your wallet, and you can always upgrade to a processor when the business is established and funds are flowing.
You would have no problems selling the SS if/when the time came.

This will give you an idea of how fast it is.

Reactions: TreePointer
hi hogwildz, was thinking the same thing more labour involved but cheaper at the start .

i think the super splitz is the way to go and i won't have to go to gym;lol thanks hogwildz

Oh you will get a good workout with the SS. Once you get used to the fast pace, you'll be amazed at the output.
Like any other log splitter, or anything that has the potential to be dangerous, just take your time and work up to a good pace, and never get too complacent.
A little caution goes a long way.
Ive used all kinds and brands of log splitters, and if I had the cash, this one would be a no brainer for me.
The place I worked for years ago was a dealer, and rented them and did demonstrations. Maybe there is a dealer up your way, that you can get an up close look and demo.
They make gas & electric versions. I never used the electric motor version. And as any other electric, would limit your processing area.

You could always get a conveyor or old corn elevator to put at the end of the splitter. It would save having to throw wood on the pile and would be able to pile it high too.

There's a wide variety of splitters in the market. The one that's best for you depends on how big of an operation you intend to have. As mentioned above, the SuperSplit is a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.