1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Log splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by Jay Shank, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Shank

Jay Shank New Member

Loc:
    York, PA
    Thought I share some pic of my new project. It is a wallenstien 20 ton slitter i picked up on EBay. There was no motor or pump mount and a bent rod in the cylinder.
    So far I've got an 8 horse Tecumseh and a pump mount. We have also tore down the cylinder and trying to find a new rod. I hoping to get t his up and run for less then $400.
    Cost so far:

splitter $50
    pump mount and connector $50
    travel to pick up $120
    motor $0

Jay

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jay Shank

Jay Shank New Member

Loc:
    York, PA
    Got it up and running. My dad picked up a used cylinder with the the the same size rod but longer. Had to cut it and have a buddy drill it. Got seal from a local company. also got a new motor. Other one need a carb. thought i try one of the honda knockoffs from horborfreight. Anyone tried those? Seem to ok, runs quite and easy to start so far.
    So here is what i got a 20 ton vert/hors splitter for $440. Just a tad over budget but well below the cost of new.Just thought I give an update, will post some picks and maybe even a vid when i find some wood to split.
    Jay
  3. jrosenboom

jrosenboom New Member

Good job, you'll have to let us know how it works!
  4. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I think you'll get yor money out of that. I've also looked at the Honda knockoffs but never really researched them. For the amount of use it will get, I'm sure it will be fine. I'd be interested in seeing pic's of the splitter with the motor mounted.

York, Pa huh? I use to have family in York and my mother was born and raised there. Small world....
  5. JayY

JayY New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    Great Job. I love bringing equipment back from the dead. Let us know how that engine works. I bet a guy like you will get that Tecumseh running before too long anyway.

Jay
  6. Jay Shank

Jay Shank New Member

Loc:
    York, PA
    I had the tecumseh running, but it needs a head gasket. The big reason for the new motor was I would have had relocate the gas tank.
    The new motor runs quiet and is very easy to start. Will get some pics up this weekend.

Thanks,

Jay
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.