Log Splitters: Wheel location/in way? AND Right or Left side controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody like Dirty hands or Speeco should take their 20 ton unit, and simply make a bolt on add on log lift for a few hundred dollars. I'd pay 500 extra for one, that would make the Dirty Hands 22 ton unit $1,700 with the log lift ($1,200 + $500). That would be resonable, they should make a few extra bucks on it, AND, would probably sell a BUNCH of them. Now that is "marketing"! ;)

How many hours have you actually logged on a machine with a log lift? I get a lot of big rounds, likely more than most here (40" ash, 44" ash, 49" oak, etc.), and I would not want to bother with a log lift. Flip the machine to vertical, and have at it. Lower cost, less to break, less hardware in my way, slowing me down when I'm working the smaller stuff.

Reactions: blujacket
How many hours have you actually logged on a machine with a log lift? I get a lot of big rounds, likely more than most here (40" ash, 44" ash, 49" oak, etc.), and I would not want to bother with a log lift. Flip the machine to vertical, and have at it. Lower cost, less to break, less hardware in my way, slowing me down when I'm working the smaller stuff.

Good point!

The size of the machine makes a difference. I'm not sure I'd tackle 40" rounds with a $1500 log-lift equipped splitter either. But a Timberwolf TW-5? Bring on the big 'uns. >>

SpeeCo/Huskee and DHT could offer such things on their splitters, but that's not their market. These machines are made to hit price points to maximize number of units sold at big box stores and similar retailers. If you want the log lift, you have options at Timberwolf, Iron & Oak, American, et al.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.