Log truck loads of firewood in the pnw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
This is a “log truck” in my area and one of the less common self loading log trucks. It’s a regular semi tractor up front. He can also self unload in my yard. This is mostly maple which is great firewood. Doug fir is more profitable at the saw mill. 30’ logs supposed to be 10 cords. This is my first log truck load of firewood logs. Usually I get big dump truck loads that are about 5 cords.

I’m a little spooked out about cutting these logswithout them rolling and crushing me. Any hints?

C6B673C6-1730-4270-9FC0-B61BE438C230.jpeg 42A10E8E-E1FE-4F3E-9F4E-BAB9945691E1.jpeg 50B84BF9-4BEC-45F5-B9E2-952D7D2C072E.jpeg 384178A3-C38B-4D93-B8D4-ACF3AF09228C.jpeg

Reactions: hobbyheater
nice load
This is how mine arrived in the spring after winter cutting firewood
and logs for milling. 20 ft long 71/2 to 8 cords per load
Cut it one log at a time rolling it off the pile. Any other logs that move have an attendance to lock into place.
Sometimes they are hard to roll off the pile. Just be well aware of what is going on

DSCF0891.JPG DSCF0896.JPG DSCF0928.JPG DSCF0898.JPG

I’ve been buying loads of logs for a few years now. Makes for less trips to cut in the forest. Our guys always set the logs on stickers that keep the logs off the ground and help stabilize a bit. They are also very picky about how they set the logs down and won't let the pile get very high. Some of my neighbors never cut from the side of the pile, but cut stove length pieces from one end all the way across, then come back and start again. That way, if something slips, you aren’t going to get run over. I can’t say I’m quite that careful. I just watch what I’m doing, and if it looks sketchy, I’ll pry one off before I cut it. The loads are supposed to be 10 cords, I’d gues I get 8 or 9, but I’ve never stacked and measured it.

These logs are 40’ long and 12-24” across. So far I’m just widdling away from one side. Cut three or four rounds from one log and then work on the next log. Watching like a hawk for movement. Skipping the base row for last to keep my chain out of the dirt.

image.jpg

What I usually do when cutting in piles like that is start at the top climbing up there and cut each log up into stove length and then toss em down after wards, that way if anything moves there’s some pieces to lock it back up. I give each log a good kick to make sure it’s locked in before I step up on it.

Yeah, there’s no rolling a 40’ long 2’ diameter green maple log. If this was in the middle of a huge yard I could maybe rig up a chain to the truck but this is a regular home and not a farm.

I abandoned the widdling from one side method in order to make the pile safer and working from one side, I worked my way to the top standing on logs to get the height down. The logs feel very stable as the sawdust packs in.

I’ll switch to splitting and figure out the best way to proceed once the rounds are gone now that it’s stable.

Working hardwoods is clean. No pitch, slivers, and the bark is super thin. My saw looks cleaner after cutting.