Logging company does good thing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixroses

Jan 31, 2008
alaska
Last weekend we had a local logging company open their lot to wood burners. Owner said because of the recent cold we went through he would wave his regular 40.00 per load and give it away. I think he may have just wanted to clear his lot of last years by-cut and we woodcutters were just the tool to get it done. They had over 3000 chords of dry, beetle kill spruce from 6 to 24". Needless to say I happily harvested nearly 4 chord over the last few days. Nice to have the buffer for the year and into next. (The 3000 chord is nearly gone, not worth another trip.)
Steve

Make hay when the sun shines! Congratulations.

There's got to be a lot of wood burners around to snap up 3000 cord that quickly. It's really sad that there is so much beetle kill that much of the harvest is no longer valuable for market timber. There's got to a million times more cords still standing in the bush. It is a plague of biblical proportions.

Back in the 70's when mostly just poor folk burned wood, I could scrounge free Birch rejects (punky centre) from a local plywood mill. There weren't many people interested in it and the mill was happy to have someone take it away. I also took the cores that came off the lathe. Some of the cores were rejects that spun out and as such, nice big peeled logs with a punky centre.

You mean this story where it is only supposed to be 1 pickup load per family?

Free firewood offer ends this weekend

Anchorage Daily News

Published: 01/23/09 17:25:34

NPI LLC, the former wood chipping and exporting company that shipped Asia-bound wood chips from Port MacKenzie in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, will end its offer of free firewood Sunday. Company spokesman Ron Arvin said he was shocked at how many people have driven to the company's Port MacKenzie site to cut and load free wood. He estimated 650 loads of free wood would have been hauled away by Friday evening. That's hundreds more than Arvin said he expected. By weekend's end, Arvin said he guessed the whole pile of trees the company owned, about 1,000 cords of wood, would be gone.

Arvin announced the free wood offer -- one pickup load of wood per family to anyone who would drive to get it -- about two weeks ago. He said he felt compelled to offer the pile of white spruce and birch the company had on its property after hearing a fire in an Anchorage four-plex had started because a resident burned cardboard in the fireplace.

NPI is offering assistance for elderly or disabled people who aren't able to cut and load the wood.

You can read the full story online at:

http://www.adn.com/matsu/story/665701.html

myzamboni said:
Arvin said he guessed the whole pile of trees the company owned, about 1,000 cords of wood, would be gone.
The only way 1000 cord can swell to 3000 is if stihlwoody converted it to face cord. Then again, chord is a unit of musical measure, not wood.

That was very nice of them to do that...plus put in all those roads too.

You dont hear of stuff like that to often anymore. I am just happy to see that there are still people in this world left that are not all about themselves.

myzamboni said:
You mean this story where it is only supposed to be 1 pickup load per family?

He's probably delivering some of those 4 cords to elderly or disabled people who aren’t able to cut and load the wood.

I do have 2 daughters and a father in law that were unable to get time off to harvest there wood. I was able to get a waiver to cut and haul for them. The -30 degree temps we had a few weeks ago really ate up there limited supply.
Steve

stihlwoody said:
I do have 2 daughters and a father in law that were unable to get time off to harvest there wood. I was able to get a waiver to cut and haul for them. The -30 degree temps we had a few weeks ago really ate up there limited supply.
Steve
Kudos, Steve, and to the logging co. It's always good to hear people still help each other out these days.

That is nice, They sure didn't have to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.