Logging Olympic Sport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
We have seen the stihl logging competitions why not be an olympic sport.

If this happens remember me guys.

Have guys and gals compete old school no chainsaws.

Competitions include using an axe for chopping a block on ground then up in a tree.
Use a maul to split wood.
Using bow saw.

Any others can be mentioned here. I do not see why it cant be an olympic sport. After all most countries are heated by wood!

Reactions: Ashful
How about uphill. wood filled wheelbarrow races on snow? Each competitor has 100 equal sized splits to get up the hill and stacked (neatly). Could me singles or relay. Possibly multiple teams competing at the same time. Some checking and blocking is allowed. Scoring is a combination of time and judging on the neatness of the stack.

I gotta go for burling. Love the burling. And the spar tree climbing races - those guys are nuts.

The ones that stand on a plank they stuck in a tree and swing an ace around... I think that's my favorite.

Reactions: pen
The ones that stand on a plank they stuck in a tree and swing an ace around... I think that's my favorite.

I bet the ace ain't too happy about it.

Reactions: Osage
My bad. Swype isn't perfect.

Axe

Hey, I think we can petition for this to be an event. The problem is everyone would have to use the same size mauls and axes and bow saws.

Instead of white pine like the stihl competitions how about we use some red oak tough stuff to make it interesting.

It would be an interesting mix of countries that could potentially arise as contenders:

USA
Canada
Australia
Northern/Eastern European countries
Russia
China?

Just trying to think of countries that still have large timber harvesting areas.

I think the Norwegians would dominate.

definitely more of a sport than curling..........................where did that come from??
not sure what to call it but
drop the tree, buck it up, split it by hand and stack it. let it season till next Olympics, then see who could build the best fire. Long term planning.

Flyingcow you bring up a good point should there be separate male and female events? I think yes but personally I would agree to either.

Being serious I see no reason why this couldn't be an event well except for the wheelbarrow races.

definitely more of a sport than curling..........................where did that come from??
From Wikipedia:
Curling was invented in medieval Scotland, with the first written reference to a contest using stones on ice coming from the records of Paisley Abbey, Renfrewshire, in February 1541.

You have to try it to appreciate it ... lots going on in strategy, accuracy, being able to read the ice for curl and speed... hard on the knees though. Another winter sport that helps us pass the time till spring and costs less than hockey;lol Good group of people and good times at bonspiels - if you're any good, winning bonspiels earns some money.

Logging competition part of the District Fall Fair still ...

What is the district Fall Fair?

From Wikipedia:
Curling was invented in medieval Scotland, with the first written reference to a contest using stones on ice coming from the records of Paisley Abbey, Renfrewshire, in February 1541.

You have to try it to appreciate it ... lots going on in strategy, accuracy, being able to read the ice for curl and speed... hard on the knees though. Another winter sport that helps us pass the time till spring and costs less than hockey;lol Good group of people and good times at bonspiels - if you're any good, winning bonspiels earns some money.

I just cant stand the yelling ;lol

Id tune in to the logging olympics ::-)

hey Lake Girl, the events at this fair would be perfect for the Olympics. I'll start the petition.

The Tea Boil can get pretty interesting ... especially when it's raining;lol It usually does at least one of the days:(

From Wikipedia:

D not get me wrong, I think it is interesting and neat the way they broom and get it in the circle but a sport?? na.

D not get me wrong, I think it is interesting and neat the way they broom and get it in the circle but a sport?? na.
Movement + coordination + strategy... it's at least as much a sport as golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.