Logging road on property - best way to cut stumps down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKSHADOW

Sep 30, 2010
Fairbanks, AK
I want to start putting in a logging road down the middle of my property to access wood from and possibly build other
structures on in the future. Ill be using my early Bronco as the log skidder so the road needs to be passable by truck.
What does everyone find that the best solution is to take out stumps frequently? Im not into renting a grinder or paying
someone to do it since I will be cutting frequently. I don't mind having a few "dirt chains" if thats the most common way
to do it. whats your operation?

make your road going around the big ones or cut your path and rent a bull dozer for the day.

pen

dy-no-mite :snake:

I think you should be able to cut the stumps with a chiansaw low enough to drive over with a truck. It might mean a little dirt in the chain, so maybe a dirt chain is useful.

Horse power and stay about a 1/2 inch above soil longer the bar the better...I perfer the 880!

I have felled the trees about 24inches from the ground then when all was done went back and cut the stumps as close to the ground as is safely possible. Drill a series of 1/2 inch holes into the stumps put some 10-10-10 fertilizer into the holes and let nature do the work. You may want to drive some 2inch pipes next to the higher ones leaving them 4-5 feet tall and then paint the tops of the pipes day-glow orange. Has worked for me and lessens the trip hazard not to mention the pain of replacing oil pans.
I post this reciepe because I have done these things and they have worked for me.

Hi, 2nd the good advice above. But if possible forget about the stumps and concentrate on production.

Like Luke and Leia with those motorcycles on the Wookie home moon settle on the path of least resistance, and weave your way threw the trees. Try to avoid any route requiring the Bronco to straddle a stump 1, undercarriage damage and 2) the tow can get hung up.

So you'll have to cut few tree's on the way, no big deal, you're making production.

Take Sir Paul's advice and take the long and winding road . . . well also the advice of Savageactor7 and pen . . . go around the stumps when possible to avoid getting hung up on them if dragging wood out . . .

If you cannot avoid creating a road and must travel over a stump, just cut low or put a slight bevel on the stump so wood will not "catch" on the lip of the stump and get hung up . . . having a "dirt chain" might be useful.

mtarbert said:
I have felled the trees about 24inches from the ground then when all was done went back and cut the stumps as close to the ground as is safely possible. Drill a series of 1/2 inch holes into the stumps put some 10-10-10 fertilizer into the holes and let nature do the work. You may want to drive some 2inch pipes next to the higher ones leaving them 4-5 feet tall and then paint the tops of the pipes day-glow orange. Has worked for me and lessens the trip hazard not to mention the pain of replacing oil pans.
I post this reciepe because I have done these things and they have worked for me.

Ha, at first I thought you meant to say "put 34-0-0 fertilizer in the holes and ...."

I think that might work better if you put it under the stump though, just like the dynomite comment above.

This should do just fine! Cat D1

Cat_D11R_with_U_Dozer_and_Ss_Ripper.jpg

Problem will be that the trees are pretty dense so I won't be able to wind through them but I can try and avoid the bigger ones. Luckily I have a pretty tall
clearence so I don't have to worry too much. One night I high centered my F150 frame on a stump and had to pull the ol hi-lift-up-and-kick-over number.
I just want to have a decent looking path going to the back of the property that I can harvest trees from either side of the path. But it seems ill just have
to keep a "dirt chain" as sharp as possible ;P

As noted above, cut flush with the ground or dig around it a bit and get it down. Drill a few holes on it or at least one and let nature do it's work. With holes drilled, the tops will be rotting in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.