Logwood 2421, how to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jondecker76

Nov 21, 2013
Ohio
Hello

New to burning wood (I've been heating with corn and wood pellets for some time though).
I recently purchased and installed a Logwood 2421 to heat my garage. I just wanted something cheap and simple to fire up when I work out there in the winter.

I did a small test fire today, but it smoked a little and had a smell to it (maybe paint/chemicals burning off? I coudn't tell if it was wood smoke or smoke from the paint burning off...)
My question is, how do I use this thing? The owners manual has a very small "Operation of the heater" section that tells absolutely nothing aside from lighting a fire and keeping the door shut.

I see it has a "Sliding draft plate", a "Draft control knob" and "Flue damper". How do I use these in combination to ensure a good clean burn? Can anyone give me a good primer of how this should be operated with these 3 "controls"?

Thanks!

Logwood 2421 for reference.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.