lol here's a hypothetical question for everyone.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
in the last year i have seen post about burning scrap wood, coal,mixing used motor oil with their pellets,and anything else iI missed in their pellet stoves. I had time to kill today and went to Gandermountain and seen a pellet smoker. the thing workes on the same princibal as a pellet stove so I started to think. If the stove was cleaned out, including pellets, I was thinking why couldnt you connect the vent pipe to a drum(55) or a metal trash can and make your own smoker? yes the price or smoking pellets are pricey but at lease in the cold months you would not be wasting the HEAT. you would still be able to heat your home. when your are done smoking the meat you could scoop out the smoking pelletes and just add the heating pellets. yes I am really board now that i lost my job. lol happy heating everyone.

I wasn't aware you needed a special pellet! My stove dealer, who was trying to sell me one of those pellet grills, neglected to tell me that. :lol: I used to drive the neighbors nuts when I had a Franklin fireplace with the swing-in grill. Cooking steaks, chicken and pork chops over the wood coals and having the smell come out the chimney and drift across the neighborhood. my friends would call me up and cuss me out!

they are pellets made for smoking. no mixed wood.

Oh boy now ya done went and done it. Only if those smoker pellets meet the proper PFI certifications to maintain the warranty, or if the stove is off warranty and outside the house have at.

I like turkey drumsticks, so let us know when it is close to being done and a bunch of us will show up with our bibs on. Oh and one other thing don't serve pellet gravy (just ask Sydney or Macman).

magsf11 said:
now that i lost my job.
Sorry to hear that, I wish you the best and Keep that chin up!

Thinking about good food does pass the time, Let us know when its ready(bib is already on). Food is good for the soul as they say!

Status
Not open for further replies.