London plain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
According to Sweep's Library: American sycamore = 17.9 MBTU / Cord
London plane (Platanus × acerifolia) is a hybrid between Platanus orientalis (oriental plane) and Platanus occidentalis (American sycamore).​
Kind of middle pack for heat (similar to silver maple and boxelder), but difficult to hand split, so I usually take a pass on it.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
Most people pass on it but I like it, burns nice, doesn't throw heat like some of the denser hardwoods but it burns nice.

If its free and I have the time I take just about any wood! The lesser woods and uglies that won't fit in the stove go in the fire pit bin.

I've burned either sycamore or London plain (they're very similar, and hard to tell apart in a pile of logs). It's all right. No complaints. I think I like it better than silver maple, not as much as red maple. Splits pretty easy.

I used to live in Pittsburgh and these are super common there. They were developed during the industrial revolution and do really well in extreme pollution. So back when Pittsburgh was so smokey you needed to bring a second dress shirt to work they were planted everywhere. They actualy make for some attractive lumber.