Long burn times in VC Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adb3

Feb 17, 2008
FL
We finally selected the VC Defiant to replace the old Franklin stove. Once we found dealers with stoves in the showroom (only 2 in NWFL, and they had limited number of models on display!) it was obvious that most of the small stoves would be dwarfed by the hearth we have!!! Anyway, the wife really liked the VC Defiant style and looks. i was excited about using much less wood and having a good all night burn!!!!! Anyway, the all night burn isn't working yet. The stove burns all of the wood i put in, but it's gone in a few hrs. First night, i put in 4 logs, about 4" size (split wood) and they were gone 4 hrs later when i checked the stove. Last night i put in 4 good size logs (4") and then put in 4 more about an hr later ( 4-5" and 18+ inches long). got up 5 hrs later, after setting the air control to the lowest setting, and all of the wood was gone. The wood is well seasoned, at least a yr old, and it has dried perhaps more than usual, but not much. i used live oak and some other oak, not certain what variety the other pieces are, they are soft on outside and hard inside.

i'm not comfortable with "filling the stove" wood to the top. last night's load was over half full, wood to box size ratio. i know i could use larger pieces and get a longer burn time, but are my results typical? This is not what i expected after reading all of the literature!!

Your recommendation/ expertise please!!

thanks

Ordinarily, you won't get an all-night burn with a half-filled stove. You are burning live oak, however, one of the densest hardwoods in North America. Try a load of just live oak at night and use the biggest, densest splits/rounds you have. Three or four 8" rounds of live oak on a good coal bed should last a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.