Long Burn Woodstove Choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I tried and old wood stove -- bad experience.. -- didn't get fire hot enough now my house has this horrible smoke smell.

Problem we already installed the DB pipe to spec, next step is stove and interior.. but we tried a used woodburner and smoked outthe house..

So went on to this forum ready all good things about Englander 13..

Please offer advice to a NEW woodburner person..
1. Smoke smell in house os overwhelming?
2. New Englander with glass door, will that help stop that
3. For occasional use, do we have to always smell that smoke smell..?
4. Negative air pressure.? is that causing the problem .. in tight smallsplit home
5. Does gas furnace cause air circulation problems with wood stove
6. Emissions.. since Englander 13 is Epa approved.. will there be less smoke smell..

New at this.. really looking forward to keeping my gas bills down by using this.. however, we just don't know what we are doing
we watched the EPA video.. that was great.. but we are quite ready to go yet..

thanks
cold in Pennsylvania....

I had a smoke & creosote issue with an old stove that came with our house. I was going to give up wood burning but decided to give it another shot. We relined the chimney and bought a new stove. I'm sitting here in the basement too hot on a 20* day!! This is a good thing! I loaded the stove at 1:00 am it's now 10 hours later and the stove is 500* the house is 72* upstairs with NO SMOKE smell, you would never know that we have a wood burner. We hardly use any gas just when were both out of town for work, otherwise we could heat with 100% wood.

I found this site after I did all of the above and was able to use the info to fine tune my stove and change some bad burning habits. I took the time to respond hoping you won't throw in the towel like we almost did thinking this was the way it had to be. Others will post the technical info you need to have your set up safe and work like it should.

One other thought I am burning a Cat stove and find it easier to use than the old stove as far as lighting and fast heat. I'm not too sure why someone would slam them I would buy another tomorrow if I had to. I do get fast heat and actual 10 hour ++ burn times like I said above those are real ##'s

mtnxtreme said:
Looking to heat a 1200 sq ft home, have a Lowes special now, won't burn thru the night, would like something with a long burn, able to see the fire, and something that won't eat wood alive, am I asking too much. I kinda like the cat soapstones, like Woodstock, but wonder if they take too long to heat up, also considered Blaze King, PE Alderlea, and Hearthstone, but I'm just confused now. Was considering used, but if I'm buying someones old technology, I'm probably wasting money. Any ideas.

Go back to Lowes and see if you can get the Century hearth 2000 sq ft or the Summer Hearth 2200 sq ft. Century has a 2.9 cu ft and the Summer has a 3.5 cu ft firebox. Both of these stoves will give you an overnight burn, according to many and at these prices (449.00 Summer H and 350.00 for the Century you can't go wrong. I am all for the Big Boy stoves like the one I have and "Mr. Olympic" by Avavlon as I call it, but if you don't have the cash go for one of these at Lowes and you won't break the bank.

I think Pacific Energy Summit is a truly remarkable stove when it comes to long burn times but what do you need, 8 hours, 10 hours, 12? If you only need 8 go for Lowes. If you need a lot more go for Olympic if you want an awesome stove that looks good too. If you want a burning beast go for the Summit it is just not as sharp looking as the Avalon

1200 feet you really don't need the biggest, the Super 27 by Pacific Energy is good and a nice size firebox as well. I would shy away from the Avalon Rainer, this is a nice stove but the firebox is not that much bigger than my old flame the Avalon Pendleton. The frustration of having a smaller firebox might drive you mad.....

Still if you get a big one you can always burn a little less and open the window a crack if it gets too warm. My Summit is a 19 x 15 room (now 75 % of the room is really good windows but still windows) I open the door all the time and I have 2 small door fans that let the heat into other rooms and up my stairs. I like the fact that I can get the room toasty in a hurry if I want and then simply share the heat...You can never go wrong with going bigger don't be fooled by the sq footage ratings on the stoves. Unless your house 100 % energy efficient go with a much bigger stove size than called for

Good Luck

ABOUT that wood in the basement. If you are building a new house, consider having a little jog in the foundation right by where you want the wood to be. Then you can add a bulkhead door outside and an access door inside; you can fill it up with wood easily and then gain access to it from inside where the stove keeps it warm.

if you have smoke-smell in the house it is a problem with the chimney, regardless of which stove you buy. either you have insufficient draft or downdraft when not in use, either way a problem with the chimney NOT the stove.

ya get what ya pay for

so you think if we get rid of the old stove (which we already took out).. and we just buy new englander 13 we should ok?

The dw pipe is installed and brand new to spec.. so that part is to code. we are working on the inside hearth... so there's no clogs.. its new..everything we read about englander 13 and their customer service is really good.

advice?

pennsylvania cold

gdog said:
so you think if we get rid of the old stove (which we already took out).. and we just buy new englander 13 we should ok?

The dw pipe is installed and brand new to spec.. so that part is to code. we are working on the inside hearth... so there's no clogs.. its new..everything we read about englander 13 and their customer service is really good.

advice?

pennsylvania cold

best advice i can give you gdog, is to call me at my shop and let me discuss the whole scenario with you first. it may not be the stove , it may not be the install, it may not be negative pressure or stack effect (i'll explain that to you) it may not be the way you are running the stove... but it could be one of the above or more, i can help with that, number is 800-245-6489 monday-friday 8-6 eastern are our hours ask for me by name, i may be a few minutes getting to you if i do not pick you up , if i think im going to be a while i'll ahve whoever picks you up take your name and number and i will call you. please mention that i asked you to call me in a post on this forum so i know its you.

Status
Not open for further replies.