Long burn..............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah- I understand that harder woods are the ideal for a long burn- but I cant't get my hands on it for free...................

I don't know, it always seems the wood from the big trunk it the stuff that burns longest?

I'll try out some new stuff, like larger splits; half instead of quarter and whole rounds and see what happens, I'll keep y'all posted. Next I'm gonna clean everything bottom to top..............

I read a comment somewhere where the poster suggested that square spit wood could be stacked tighter (less air space) and would result in a longer burn. I haven't tried it yet (and I didn't split any wood like that) but it might be worth a try.

Ken

Ken45 said:
I read a comment somewhere where the poster suggested that square spit wood could be stacked tighter (less air space) and would result in a longer burn. I haven't tried it yet (and I didn't split any wood like that) but it might be worth a try.

Ken

It works. And burntime is right. The heartwood without bark and punk is tighter grain, all fiber, and burns longer.

Ken45 said:

Ken

My brother inlaw does it like this.he lives on this stuff.

johnnywarm said:
Ken45 said:

Ken
most of my wood is done in square and it does burn longer

My brother inlaw does it like this.he lives on this stuff.

BrotherBart said:
Ken45 said:

Ken

It works. And burntime is right. The heartwood without bark and punk is tighter grain, all fiber, and burns longer.

i second that about the heartwood. i think i might have to split some more of my wood square. i never thought about that but it makes sense, when trying to fill firebox to the MAX

rich81 said:
i second that about the heartwood. i think i might have to split some more of my wood square. i never thought about that but it makes sense, when trying to fill firebox to the MAX

It also slows down heat and hot gasses getting to the unburned wood, thereby (I think) slowing the spread of the fire and giving a longer burn. Think of how one solid block of wood filing the firebox would burn (that would probably go too far is slowing/stopping the fire).

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.