Long Hard Ride!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miles220

Nov 25, 2009
Southern Il
Well i had a funny experience today and wanted to share it with you all. i am sure that many before me have had the same experience but here it goes. I am a police officer in the city i live in and i have a partner at work that is just about as ate up with wood burning and sacrificing as i, so we spend our 12 hour shifts trying to spot light dead trees in town....yup lovely midnights! about a month ago we secured three dead trees at one house....pretty good scrounge considering they were all bur oaks. we have been putting them off but i got scared that someone else was going to sneak in and swipe our score, so today was the day. we load up all the saws and gear and head off. the first tree that we decided to cut was a 3 1/2 foot to 4 foot in diameter trunk tree. the top had blown out years ago and exposed some hollow branches. i was nervous that the hole tree was hollow so i plunge cut the base two times, used my fiskars pro and cut a block out.....Solid! w hoo. i then cut the hinge and dropped it. as soon as the baby bounced and the dust settled...a big gray squirrel ran out a hole in the side of the tree!!!!!! now i am not sure but i would have thought the plunge cutting and the chopping would have alerted the little fur ball but for some reason it didn't. well i got i really good laugh just thinking about what the little guy must have been thinking when he took the long hard ride to the ground!!!! sorry for the long windedness....just wanted to share.

great fire wood by the way....watching two pieces burn right now...74 in the house and 24 outside! gotta love sticking it to the natural gas company!

I always wondered what the guys with receivers on the back of their patrol cars were pulling. The guys in the Tahoes definitely have an advantage.

Yikes...glad I don't have to take any trees down in the city, many obstacles to overcome. Wouldn't it would be easier for you and your partner to scrounge the city green dump?

miles220 said:
Well i had a funny experience today and wanted to share it with you all. i am sure that many before me have had the same experience but here it goes. I am a police officer in the city i live in and i have a partner at work that is just about as ate up with wood burning and sacrificing as i, so we spend our 12 hour shifts trying to spot light dead trees in town....yup lovely midnights! about a month ago we secured three dead trees at one house....pretty good scrounge considering they were all bur oaks. we have been putting them off but i got scared that someone else was going to sneak in and swipe our score, so today was the day. we load up all the saws and gear and head off. the first tree that we decided to cut was a 3 1/2 foot to 4 foot in diameter trunk tree. the top had blown out years ago and exposed some hollow branches. i was nervous that the hole tree was hollow so i plunge cut the base two times, used my fiskars pro and cut a block out.....Solid! w hoo. i then cut the hinge and dropped it. as soon as the baby bounced and the dust settled...a big gray squirrel ran out a hole in the side of the tree!!!!!! now i am not sure but i would have thought the plunge cutting and the chopping would have alerted the little fur ball but for some reason it didn't. well i got i really good laugh just thinking about what the little guy must have been thinking when he took the long hard ride to the ground!!!! sorry for the long windedness....just wanted to share.

great fire wood by the way....watching two pieces burn right now...74 in the house and 24 outside! gotta love sticking it to the natural gas company!

Sounds like the department needs to use F-350 4X4's for cruisers lol.. FYI I find parking tickets make excellent firestarters :)

Ray

miles220 said:

It's bad enough that you destroyed his home, but did you have to dress him up in all that silly military costume? ;-)

BTW, have you ever had a chance to accompany your local bylaw officer when he finds improperly stored firewood on peoples property that must be confiscated?

Status
Not open for further replies.