Long pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragracer300

Nov 20, 2010
Ohio
Has anyone else been having problems with Lignetics this year being long? I usually burn somersets but i bought 2 tons of these for 150. a ton so i thought i would try them. The first ton burnt great good heat a little more ash then the somersets but not to bad. The second ton that i just opened the pellets are almost 3 times as long as what the last ton was so i don't get as many in the burn pot on the same setting and i'm not getting close to the same amount of heat. If it gets very cold i may have to mix in some gold plated priced corn to get some heat?

Drop the bags on the floor a few times (like you would a bag of ice) to maybe break them up a bit.

Charlie500e said:
Drop the bags on the floor a few times (like you would a bag of ice) to maybe break them up a bit.

I'd be afraid on turning out more sawdust than breaking long pellets

mr coffee said:
Charlie500e said:

I'd be afraid on turning out more sawdust than breaking long pellets

You'd have to experiment...start with one or two drops and take a look...

I have heard some say dropping them and some say walking on them. I tried the walking on but nada. Still too many long ones. Got more satisfaction emailing a pissy letter to the manufacture

A member here made a sifter using hardware cloth. Seemed to catch the long ones and let the good ones pass. Then you just bust up the long ones and dump them into the hopper. Check the link and maybe add a comment for some details on the sifter.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81663/

I saw some pellets like this they were called Fiber Heat I think, I dont know if lignetics makes this brand or not. These were almost burnt on the outside and shiney like they went throught the die at to high of a pressure.

I purchased 4 bags to try earlier. There were a lot of long ones mixed in so I just walked on them a bit. They seemed to work fine in my stove after I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.