Long-sleeve shirt for briars / brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I cannot find anything on a web search! Looking for a decent long-sleeve shirt when collecting firewood out in the sticks. Brush and briars around here. I can find lots of pants for hunting and whatnot that are meant for brush/briars, but what kind of shirt? Can anyone recommend? If it's cold, I can wear my Carhartt duck fabric jacket, it's tough. But it's too hot unless it's pretty cold temp.

Try dans hunting gear. that what I use for my hunting clothes works great for briars and burrs do not stick.

Reactions: neverbilly
My Dad always bought Ripstop shirts from LLBean. It has little nylon squares woven into the fabric. If you catch it on something it doesnt rip as much.
This is in lightweight cotton khakis.
If you are a brook trout fisherman and go bushwacking.
Its called Rip Stop

Last edited:
Search for "hickory shirts" baileys sells them and I think Ben Davis is one of the better brands. Try it out, I have never found a tougher work shirt.

Reactions: neverbilly
You need something, I've had the briars go right through leather work gloves. I call them cat claws.

I use Deer skin welders gauntlets with kevlar stitching when working with thorny material and very rarely get anything puncture them, but the leather is supple enough to be able to do delicate work too.

When not actually handling the thorns but just to stop things stinging or pricking my arms, I use Leather Welding Sleeves - they are a tube of leather with elasticated ends which pull over shirt sleeves, or even bare arms.

WP44-2318.jpg

A mini excavator with a hydraulic thumb and a landscaping blade. Dont even have to get out of your chair.
Best thing for wild rosebushes and blackberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.