Long Term Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snerdguy

Feb 9, 2012
Ohio
This forum has been a great help to me. Now I have another question.

I want to clean up my pellet stove and store it in my garage at least for the summer, maybe longer. My garage is dry but unheated which means the stove will likely attract dampness and that will make it rust. A member previously mentioned coating the inside the stove with a light oil after cleaning it. Would it help to spray the bare metal interior surfaces of the stove with WD40? What can I do to preserve the exterior and other surfaces? Would car wax work?

I hope to install the stove in my garage and experiment with it until I can find a more affordable fuel. On the Internet, there was a guy who was blogging about burning wood chips in his pellet stove. He says he gets the chips from a saw mill and dries them in a drier he made. Then he screens them down to quarter inch pieces. He says they burn three time faster than pellets if measured by volume but about the same if measured by weight. I have some ideas I want to try. A least my garage is all metal so I am less likely to burn it down.

Thanks for all of your help.

Very heavy plastic bag tied off tight with desicant inside.

If you have the means of lifting the stove to place in bag.

I would coat the inside with Pam cooking oil and possibly the outside too. Pam works better and sticks longer than WD-40.

Along with desiccant placed inside hopper and firebox. Wrapped is also a good idea...

Ejectr said:
Where can one purchase desiccant?

Ever here of Damp Rid?

A desiccant is a moiture absorber. Anything of that nature will work.

Can be had at Drug stores, Dollar stores, Hardware stores, etc..

Yes, I know what a desiccant is. Just never bought any. When I was in the Navy, we had a 55 gallon drum full of the blue crystal type of stuff to put in the air filters of the Fire Control Director gun sights so they wouldn't collect moisture. I haven't used or seen the stuff since.

Over the summer? Don't worry about it.

Pellet stoves aren't that fragile!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.