Long time to light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backpack09

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2007
Rochester, Mass
A friend of mine just had a Quadra Fire Classic Bay installed. And not having a pellet stove, or any other info on her install, she is of course asking me questions....

She is complaining that the firechamber fills with smoke during lighting and it takes between 10-15 minutes to light every time. Is this normal, or should she get her installer back out there?

Thanks,
Dan

Don't have the same stove, but mine fills with swirling smoke
before it ignites too. I've timed it and mine takes about 5
minutes to light up. Has she read the manual? Maybe
it isn't taking in enought air? How does it run after it's lit?
When I first got this stove there was a learning curve. Takes some time for sure
to get to know the stove and how to get it running just so.
Sometimes have to make adjustments to the air intake for
different pellets too..
Think I read the manual over at least 5 or 6 six times and then
some over the course of the first month.

If it was the first burn, you would have to press the reset every 2 mins a few times to get the pellets flowing. My CB1200i fills with smoke before it ignites. The feed rate on the pellets may need to be tweaked a bit if it take 15 mins to light. Mine takes about 3 to 5 mines to light. The smoke is normal. She could also make sure the ingniter is in the right spot located near the ash pan. It is held in place with a thumb wingnut and may have loosen causing the igniter to be out of position. Good luck.

Backpack09 said:
A friend of mine just had a Quadra Fire Classic Bay installed. And not having a pellet stove, or any other info on her install, she is of course asking me questions....

She is complaining that the firechamber fills with smoke during lighting and it takes between 10-15 minutes to light every time. Is this normal, or should she get her installer back out there?

Thanks,
Dan

IMO, the installer is supposed to start the stove and show the owner how it operates, show what adjustments she can make, and answer any questions. Did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.