Longer Burn Time Experiment...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebring

Oct 3, 2011
PA
I have an Englander 30 with a 30' chimney and a SS flex liner inside my old chimney. I always thought the secondary flames were exiting way to fast, and the doghouse air sounds like a jet engine. So I did an experiment. I have a T in the chimney pipe with a cap on the end. I cracked the cap open a little at a time. And now the stove runs way longer, with great secondaries. I have a baro damper ordered.

Attachments

• pipe 1.jpg
    pipe 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 204
did you try a pipe damper?

pen

Your going to invite cooler air into the stack, cooling the gases and create creo much faster. Keep an eye on the stack.
Is that pic upside down? The seam looks running the wrong way?
Prolly sucking warm air from the house outside like a fireplace does also.

Picture isnt rotated right... I didnt think of a manual pipe damper.. that might work also

If it is not in a fireplace, and you'd have access to use a pipe damper, I think I'd try that before the baro damper for the reason Hogz mentioned.

I have one in my stove and it whoa's things pretty quickly if needed. For under 10 bucks it's worth a try.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.