Longer burn time tips.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
I did a search on this and found a few post but not much help. I have a Avalon pedelton insert. 22 feet of insulated forever flex liner. I have a block off plate that's insulated with roxwool. All my wood is all around 20% or less. I get around a 2 to 2 1/2 hour burn. I don't pack it super tight but I get about 4 to 5 splits in it. If I could get another hour or two or burn time that would be great

What kind of wood and how low is the air adjusted after the fire is established?

What kind of wood and how low is the air adjusted after the fire is established?

Ash and red maple. The air is just below half most of the time anything lower and it starts to smoke out of the chimney. I have one post where a guy was getting 6-7 hours but it was a very old post and the member hasn't been on in a long time. I try to run the stove as low as I can but usually just below half it smokes. Is there anything I can do to fix that

Last edited:
Everyone has a different idea of what "burn time" is, as there's no objective definition. You and Mr. 6hr burn might have the exact same fires but different views of when the burn ends.

Are you down to coals in 2-2/12 hours? Coals are still heating I that's the case, your stove will be at a lower temp though.

Post photos of what it looks like when you load the stove full. I would be shocked if you can't get more than 6 hrs of meaningful heat out of any stove with well seasoned ash and maple. If I load my stove (0.9 Cuft rounded up..) totally full of hard maple it will heat the house for about 7-8 hrs depending on how well I loaded it and the size of the split. Since my stove is small my "large" splits are 6" max, usually far smaller.

My guess is you are measuring burn time by the length of time that there is secondaries and flames on the firewood. I measure burn time by length of time that the stove is putting out useful heat. Coals still put out a lot of heat and i add that to my burn time. Usually when the stove is around 200 i will reload if the need is there. Until then its all burn time to me. You can put larger splits or rounds in to help lengthen the actual burn if your wood as long as it is properly seasoned. Also if you pack the wood tigjt with as little air gaps between pieces this helps. How big are your average splits?

Post photos of what it looks like when you load the stove full. I would be shocked if you can't get more than 6 hrs of meaningful heat out of any stove with well seasoned ash and maple. If I load my stove (0.9 Cuft rounded up..) totally full of hard maple it will heat the house for about 7-8 hrs depending on how well I loaded it and the size of the split. Since my stove is small my "large" splits are 6" max, usually far smaller.

I'm out of town for a few days. Would you mind shooting me a photo of what I should be aiming for

How big are your splits? After searching I see the pendleton isn't very large. I suspect you won't get more than eight hours between loads (coals to coals).

How big are your splits? After searching I see the pendleton isn't very large. I suspect you won't get more than eight hours between loads (coals to coals).

Not very big I usually put an big one in the back a 3 " round in front of that then a couple little ones on top

Not very big I usually put an big one in the back a 3 " round in front of that then a couple little ones on top
Yep, this is the cause of super short burns. Also loading the wood in a crib style will also accelerate the burn. I load my Morso as full as I can. If it's a cold start I'll even play around with the load until I have gotten as much in there as possible. This means wood against the baffle. Some stoves have fragile baffles, so keep this in mind and be gentle. I have no pictures before a light and it's too warm to use the Morso right now. I'll try and remember to get a pic.

Load the stove full. The way you are loading leads to lots of air and not much wood. That means short burn time

Reactions: SpaceBus
Load it up. My insert is only a little bigger than yours and I cut a lot of my wood 13" long for when I need to maximize the space.
Your wood is higher BTU than what I have access to, but I still don't think you'll get 6 hours from such a small stove.
20191122_023709.jpg
20191030_001815.jpg

Load it up. My insert is only a little bigger than yours and I cut a lot of my wood 13" long for when I need to maximize the space.
Your wood is higher BTU than what I have access to, but I still don't think you'll get 6 hours from such a small stove. View attachment 254058View attachment 254059

Thank you for the photos. I definitely don't fill it that much. About half that is what I'm doing. Lol I need to my skills and start loading more. How long dose a load like
that last? Thanks

Obviously not the same stove as you, but I generally try to get it as tight as possible. Inevitably there are always enough gaps for air to get through, despite my best efforts. This is all spruce and fir and should yeild usable coals around 0700.

Attachments

• 20191224_232554.jpg
    20191224_232554.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 20191224_232022.jpg
    20191224_232022.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: blacktail
Sure enough at 0730 I have a nice pile of coals and my fire has restarted. I went to sleep and the house was 73df in the stove room and now it is 64df. If it were a colder night (sub 20df) I would have loaded up the cook stove as well or used a load of maple or birch in one or both stoves. Usually I don't put hard woods in my cooker since it's not as efficient at heating the house, however we had 0df temps last week so I pulled out the stops. We are also missing a bit of insulation downstairs and the upstairs insulation has been torn up from mice and leaks.

Attachments

• 20191225_072623.jpg
    20191225_072623.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20191225_072448.jpg
    20191225_072448.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20191225_072648.jpg
    20191225_072648.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 92
I read something on another forum not related to wood burning and a guy claimed he cut some shorter wood and stood it on end, stacked the wood vertically. I’ve never even thought about that but he claims he gets longer more even burns in cold weather. Just curious if anyone’s ever tried it.

I read something on another forum not related to wood burning and a guy claimed he cut some shorter wood and stood it on end, stacked the wood vertically. I’ve never even thought about that but he claims he gets longer more even burns in cold weather. Just curious if anyone’s ever tried it.

Perhaps he can get a lower slower burn, but there are only so many btu in each piece of wood. Maybe by loading it in this vertical fashion it's possible to get in more wood with less air gaps? Seems like a huge hassle from the perspective of wood processing