Longer Chimney Run = Greater Danger of Creosote Buildup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjayhawk

Dec 6, 2008
North of St. Louis
Last week we began burning our newly-installed Napoleon 1400, and are lovin' every minute of it!

We placed the stove in our finished walk-out basement, which required a 23 foot stainless chimney run up the outside of our home.

My questions: Is this considered a long run? And does a longer run increase the danger of creosote buildup?

This is my first post here at the hearth super-site, and am grateful for the vast knowledge available here. As most new members point out, the information shared here is invaluable! Thanks to all for their willingness to share. Although I grew up with an Earth Stove in our home (had a few scary moments with chimney fires) ... and used one back in the 90's, I am being forced to quickly re-learn the wood burning life.

BTW, we are very pleased with the Napoleon 1400. Our temperatures in Southern Illinois (just north of St. Louis) are dropping into the mid-teens tonight, and the coolest part of our 3,600 square foot home (upper level, opposite end of our L-shaped cape cod) is 67*! This little wood-burner can really put out the heat!

Welcome kj. Your pipe is insulated and isn't extraordinarily tall. Burn dry wood only to avoid creosote issues and try to burn at least one hot fire a day and you should be ok. Have the flue checked or check it yourself once a month until you are comfortable with how the system is working.

Tall chimney does not cause any creosote problems but will give you a better draft. You should be just fine. Now go put another log on the fire. It's cold today.

BeGreen said:
Welcome kj. Your pipe is insulated and isn't extraordinarily tall. Burn dry wood only to avoid creosote issues and try to burn at least one hot fire a day and you should be ok. Have the flue checked or check it yourself once a month until you are comfortable with how the system is working.

Please give 'one hot fire' a number. Like how many degrees on stovetop is considered hot?

I read here where people get no creosote. I have mine swept 2x a season and I do get the powdery stuff. I burn seasoned hard wood and temps. are usually at 500* or 600* until coaling stage and then it gradually drops. I reload in the 300's and will get smoke during that brief time. I have to give it more air during the coaling process so that the coals burn down more efficiently.

perplexed said:
BeGreen said:

Please give 'one hot fire' a number. Like how many degrees on stovetop is considered hot?

I read here where people get no creosote. I have mine swept 2x a season and I do get the powdery stuff. I burn seasoned hard wood and temps. are usually at 500* or 600* until coaling stage and then it gradually drops. I reload in the 300's and will get smoke during that brief time. I have to give it more air during the coaling process so that the coals burn down more efficiently.

Good post/question. That's pretty much my routine right there, and I too am curious as to what constitutes a "hot fire" for this purpose.

Hot fire for me gives me 700-750 stovetop temp on my Jotul Kennebec insert - measuring surface temp next to the flue outlet.

Lots of flame, small kindling, lots of air - my goal is to heat my flue, so that the stove can then run well with the air turned down. Warm flue = good draft = good clean burn with dry wood.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

I, too, was wondering how hot a "hot" fire is. I'm burning our Napoleon 1400 at least several hours (4-5) at 500* - 600* stove top temp (with blower on).

We've received about an inch of snow, and today I noticed that there are dark spots in the snow at the base of our chimney. It is from the top of the stack ... not the clean-out.

Normal or abnormal?

Backwoods Savage said:
Tall chimney does not cause any creosote problems but will give you a better draft. You should be just fine. Now go put another log on the fire. It's cold today.

Yes, Backwoods, I am getting an unbelievable draft ... almost too much. The first two nights, the fire about ran away from me ... even with the damper completely closed. A few hours of 700* - 750* produced a bit of "paint burn off," and warmed the house up rather quickly!

I've learned to let the stove cool down a bit before loading it to the gills for the overnight burn.

And it's cold here, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.