Longer lenth pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron stove

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2009
Central CT
One pellet that my stove really liked a few years ago was Wood peelet Co out of Pennsylvania, and it seemed to be longer than others. LAst year I was into the Rocky mountains, and they were decent length.

Im going to try some other brands, but can you suggest some that burn good, but are usually on the longer side ?

Shorter = more = hotter

Yes, but when I bought my Oakies last year, they were real short, and plugged up my burn pot real quick.

Blimp is right. You will get more fuel per auger turn with a shorter pellet and it is less stress on the auger motor. I think the Wood Pellet Co has a better length this year.

Did you feel more heat from the Wood Pellet Co. brand??

Couldnt get then during the shortage, and last year it was rockies for me, but rockies have dried up this year. So its been 2 years since I burned them.

I also see you might be changing stoves. That will fix the problem of the shorter pellets. The Harman will eat any of these pellets nicely!

You could never find away to reduce or stop the clogging?? THe longer pellet may have helped you by stalling the auger motor and the longer pellet was actually putting in less fuel. I suppose you could add a dimmer switch or speed control to the auger and reduce the feed that way. Only if you cant find a long pellet. Another thing could be to reduce the area where the pellets are picked up. Like a slide gate. Check out a Quad to see what I mean.

PA was the other brand I saw with long pellets. Probably fixed though. BT Ent. in bristol may have some old stock of the Wood Pellet Co left over. Give them a call.

Dont want old stock. Yes, if I do change stoves, wont be a issue. Ill know in september if im changing stoves, but want to start getting pellets now. Have to go through my manual, but maybe my feeb rate is too high.

Most pellet makers don't purposely make long pellets. They happen when the shoe in the die messes up. The shoe or knife clips the pellets when they get to about an inch. OHP was the only other brand that had a lenght issue last year. Most likey fixed. I know NEWP NY fixed theres.

Trying to find long pellets is going to be tougher than fixing the feed rate on your stove! Or increasing the air to help burn the pellets faster. You will need to adjust these with every brand you try. Not many stoves are set and forget.

I only have 3 feed rates, but looking at manual I do have a electronic way to " fuel feed trim" and also combustion air trim. Have to read this more when im not tired.

If the pot is overfilling. You want to turn the feed trim down and or increase the combustion air trim. Use these to tweak for different pellets and there burn qualities.

There should be something in the manual about the flame and how to judge a good burn. Watch out for lazy flame as it is like burning a car real rich.

Do you have a damper to adjust as well?

The T300 has a damper under the unit, pretty much have to lie down on your stomach to get to it. I think, depending on the Circuit board, you should have adjustments for the feed rate as well. Look to see if your control board face has a drop down door at the bottom. Usually has a lil knife slot you have to pry open. You may have a set of calibration buttons in there to tweak the feed.

Wow, you are the first one I've heard of that likes longer pellets. We purchased a full truckload (24 tons) of Kentucky Kernals out of Louisville last year. Out of the six that went in together to purchase the truckload, two of us had problems with the pellets piling up or bridging in the hooper of our stoves. They would not feed into the burn pot and the stove stop burning.

Some of these pellets were actually between 1.75 to 2 inches long. My Harman P-38 does not like them. I still have a half of pallet left. This year we purchased a truckload of somersets which I understand are some of the best on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.