1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Longest Overnight Burn Tactics?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by amellefson, Jan 27, 2012.

1. amellefson

amellefson Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    There needs to be a smiley of an old man shaking his fist...You darn cat owners :mad: This might work instead.

Tony

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MofoG23

MofoG23 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western PA - Steeler Country!
    I took pictures of last nights load - keep in mind this is not my best wood, just what I had on the porch (not very cold last night). If I use larger oak/cherry splits on the bottom, I get better temps in the morning hours and an overall longer burn. This load is a mix of medium/smaller splits (oak and maple).

Loaded up around 9:45...Removed all air around 10:30. Woke up at 6am and found the remaining coals and stove temp of 297...if I used larger splits of oak/cherry, it would have been higher.

QuadforLife - I always take my temps at the center of the stove, just below the blower output, above the door...seems to be the hottest spot.

Attached Files:

3. MofoG23

MofoG23 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    The temps most likely dropped a bit as I had the door open earlier taking pictures.

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      395.3 KB
      Views:
  4. MofoG23

MofoG23 Feeling the Heat

Loc:

We burn damn near the same amount...at the peak of a normal winter, I go through a cord per month...warmer months (like this year) and its closer to 1.5 months per cord.
  5. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    The old Garrison gets loaded like Hogwildz, large on base and smaller as I go up. Close the air valves to 1/2 turn out and I can get 9 hrs out of it. I have a small fan near it that circulates the heat. Nice coal be in the morning and the house is usually 68.
  6. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    Quad,

So hows the stove doing now have you made some adjustments?
  7. amellefson

amellefson Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    That hybrid load is so so. I had a hot start up temps and some more coals in the morning, but they were a little black. Once I raked 'em forward and closed the door while I was choosing splits they heated right up. Loaded it for the morning and it took right off. Some time this week I will try the n/,s coals on one side. Thanks for the tip.

Tony