amellefson Posted By amellefson, Jan 27, 2012 at 4:22 AM

1. amellefson

amellefson
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2011
    Loc:
    Southern WI
    There needs to be a smiley of an old man shaking his fist...You darn cat owners :mad: This might work instead.

Tony

2. MofoG23

MofoG23
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 12, 2009
    Loc:
    Western PA - Steeler Country!
    I took pictures of last nights load - keep in mind this is not my best wood, just what I had on the porch (not very cold last night). If I use larger oak/cherry splits on the bottom, I get better temps in the morning hours and an overall longer burn. This load is a mix of medium/smaller splits (oak and maple).

Loaded up around 9:45...Removed all air around 10:30. Woke up at 6am and found the remaining coals and stove temp of 297...if I used larger splits of oak/cherry, it would have been higher.

QuadforLife - I always take my temps at the center of the stove, just below the blower output, above the door...seems to be the hottest spot.

Attached Files:

3. MofoG23

MofoG23
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 12, 2009
    Loc:
    The temps most likely dropped a bit as I had the door open earlier taking pictures.

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      395.3 KB
      Views:
  4. MofoG23

MofoG23
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 12, 2009
    Loc:

We burn damn near the same amount...at the peak of a normal winter, I go through a cord per month...warmer months (like this year) and its closer to 1.5 months per cord.

5. rkshed

rkshed
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2012
    Loc:
    NH
    The old Garrison gets loaded like Hogwildz, large on base and smaller as I go up. Close the air valves to 1/2 turn out and I can get 9 hrs out of it. I have a small fan near it that circulates the heat. Nice coal be in the morning and the house is usually 68.

6. Huntindog1

Huntindog1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    Quad,

So hows the stove doing now have you made some adjustments?

7. amellefson

amellefson
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2011
    Loc:
    Southern WI
    That hybrid load is so so. I had a hot start up temps and some more coals in the morning, but they were a little black. Once I raked 'em forward and closed the door while I was choosing splits they heated right up. Loaded it for the morning and it took right off. Some time this week I will try the n/,s coals on one side. Thanks for the tip.

Tony