Look at this Beech grain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2015
Delaware
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The farmer where I get my wood from took me to this large Beech tree that fell into his field. He asked me if I wanted it and I was welcome to use his splitter because of how big it is. Once I opened it up I looked at the grain and was amazed at what I saw! It was not easy to split a fresh round open. But once we got it quartered it got easier. I kept a round to play with on the lathe once it seasons.

Last edited:
Beech is real hard to dry into usable lumber, but if you got some latex spray paint for the end grain now and can get access to a band saw in a few years -- you can probably cut the paint off the ends and burn the rest in your stove.

i would try to season some of that even for just a jewelry box or a humidor, but it will probably end up in the stove.

Thanks, real pretty.

Reactions: Wood Collector
Good idea, I'll seal the ends and see what happens. What I do with it then will be whatever it lets me do!

That right there is a perfect example of the difference between a field / yard tree vs a wood tree, prevailing winds on a fully exposed tree causes that grain twist.
Just pointing this out for new people that are getting into this sport :)

That grain looks a lot like my ash yard tree looked. It was my first splitting experience and needless to say I thought everyone who loved ash was crazy.

Looks like curly beech. Be sure to show us a sample of it planed and finished.

Looks like curly beech. Be sure to show us a sample of it planed and finished.
Curly Beech... I just looked it up and saw some interesting pieces! Now the grain had a name and my wife is gonna get a cool gift! Thanks for putting a name to the grain GZECC...

I got to thinking. I wonder if the other half of that thee is curly as well? I'll have to wait untill it falls too. Shouldn't be too long of a wait it wasn't looking to sporty at the base where the other one broke off.

Last edited:
I got to thinking. I wonder if the other half of that thee is curly as well? I'll have to wait untill it falls too. Shouldn't be too long of a wait it wasn't looking to sporty at the base where the other one broke off.

If you got space and can get to it quick, try getting the endgrain sprayed with latex within moments of the tree coming down, spit it once and get the splits, (as long as possible) out of the sun and into shade.

I know from experience that beech felled at 2PM in full sun that doesn't get latex paint on the end grain before 6PM will check badly enough to be usable as nothing but firewood...

I guess you got time to read up on it, even straight grained beech is pretty to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.