Look Familiar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjnamtiw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I had one of these in my fireplace 40 years ago. Look familiar? The same OLD technology is still used in many of our stoves. Round tubes with air blowing through them! You would think in 40 years, someone would start using extruded aluminum finned tubing at least if not a completely rethought heat transfer scheme. Some do, I know but not many.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firep..._a_7c1360010&gclid=CM7uh8PUq8MCFYgAaQodq0kAdg

I had one of these in my fireplace 40 years ago. Look familiar? The same OLD technology is still used in many of our stoves. Round tubes with air blowing through them! You would think in 40 years, someone would start using extruded aluminum finned tubing at least if not a completely rethought heat transfer scheme. Some do, I know but not many.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Heater-for-Zero-Clearance-Fireplace-4-Tubes?
gdftrk=gdfV23673_a_7c1677_a_7c8224_a_7c1360010&gclid=CM7uh8PUq8MCFYgAaQodq0kAdg

Wasn't that called a Firebird fireplace grate?

I had one of those, and it worked pretty well. That's pretty expensive for some bent tubing, though. And mine had some expanded sheet metal to hold the coals up near the tubing.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firep..._a_7c1360010&gclid=CM7uh8PUq8MCFYgAaQodq0kAdg

I had one of those in my fireplace for over 20 years. Mine had 6 tubes and a manifold on the bottom tubes with a fan motor and flex hose. Plenty of heat coming out of those tubes. Mine was called a heater-lator.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

I miss the Magic Heat .......................

And what has this to do with a Pellet Forum?, should of posted this in the wood burners Forum, a fireplace is still a fireplace where 99% of the heat goes up!

Reactions: LuvMyPellets
And what has this to do with a Pellet Forum?, should of posted this in the wood burners Forum, a fireplace is still a fireplace where 99% of the heat goes up!

Don't be be a turd............

We talk about pellet stoves til we are blue in the face so I enjoy mixing it up a bit and I still burn wood too so no harm,,, No foul TJ. In fact I fired the Woodmaster last night for the first time all year and it is warmer than it has been just to exercise the old beast.

I also think many here are not only into pellet burning strictly and like tips and tid bits. I do!

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Maybe I need to light off the burn barrel out back. My neighbors just love the smell of roasting garbage.....

Well, IF you took the time to read my initial post, I said that this same 50 year old technology is STILL USED in most of our PELLET STOVES! Kap's right about the AE. It has, IIRC, fins in it like on the cylinder of a Deutz tractor.
It has everything to do with our stoves.

I miss the Magic Heat .......................

I can fully understand that. Where you reside, the 'magic heat' lasts maybe a couple months.......lol

I had one of these in my fireplace 40 years ago. Look familiar?

Don Garlits called; he wants the "zoomies" headers back off his Swamp Rat.:p

Actually, when I bought my 1949 house thirty one years ago, one of these was in the fireplace. First cool evening, I put some wood in it and fired it up. Alas, I had not known to inspect it carefully, and there were significant rust-through holes, turning the device into an efficient smoke pump. !!!

Reactions: tjnamtiw
I thought you were going to say there was a dead rat/mouse in it, and the heat from the fire…well you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.