Look for a nice splitting Maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
OK I think a gas power log splitter is out of the budget right now so I will Live with my electric Ryobi for the time being. I have heard guys swear by their splitting Mauls, just wanted to see what kinds you guys like out there. I think I can afford one of those :)

I would recommend the #4.25 Fiskars Super Splitting Axe.

Depends on what you need to split. I'm a big fan of Fiskars. Since I'm a wimpy softwood burner, I find that my workhorses are the 2+ lb. splitting axe and the ~16" splitting hatchet. I do use the heavier splitting axe from time to time, as well as the smaller hatchet. I rarely have a need for the chopping axe I have. These tools are some of the nicest I've ever owned. I find that the way they're designed makes my life easier...more production with less effort. The handles are nearly indestructible. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll reveal that I also own a gas-powered hydraulic splitter, so mostly what I do with the hand tools is re-splitting and making kindling & such. I have relegated my old heavier axes, mauls, sledges, and wedges to the back storage room. Should I ever need them again, I know where to find them. Rick

Attachments

• fiskars.jpg
    fiskars.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 899
I like my Super Splitter Maul (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EM2SJ0). I think I got mine at the local OSH, but the price in this link looks okay. However, with the Fiskars selling for almost the same price at Amazon, I'm really tempted to try their 4.5 # ax, once I start splitting with a maul again in earnest. I've split a little with regular ax and a little with the super-splitter recently, and my back tells me - easy now, so I have a few weeks (at least) before I can swing the maul for hours at a time again. I actually miss it.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
I like my Super Splitter Maul (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EM2SJ0). I think I got mine at the local OSH, but the price in this link looks okay. However, with the Fiskars selling for almost the same price at Amazon, I'm really tempted to try their 4.5 # ax, once I start splitting with a maul again in earnest. I've split a little with regular ax and a little with the super-splitter recently, and my back tells me - easy now, so I have a few weeks (at least) before I can swing the maul for hours at a time again. I actually miss it.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I have on these super splitter 6 pound mauls I like it better than I do my old design 8 pounder. but for full disclosure I also own a gas powered maul. so I do not swing it as much as I used to but I do toss it and a 6 pound sledge with 4 wedges in the trailer if I am going after bigger wood so I can crack wood in half or quarters to toss in the trailer swinging a 6 pounder is easier on the back than picking big splits up.

Fiskars Super Splitting Axe - 28"
You wont regret it
I used a 6lb maul before getting this, well worth it.

Ended up buying the Super splitting axe and pro splitting axe, both 28 inches. I am pissed off at myself because I already put a nick in the blade of the pro axe...Damn... :shut: Dropped it on the gravel driveway

I guess I'll learn from my mistake by the time my Super splitting axe comes in, I don't want to damage that one.

All in all it was 40 for the pro spliiter at sears and 50 bucks online for the Super splitter, plus 10 bucks for the sharpener.

So far I am really impressed with the Pro splitting axe, rips through my black walnut! Nice

Thanks for the advice guys

Just take a nice fine little flat file and work the edges of the nick a bit, so there's nothing sticking out on the sides of the edge...don't try to get the nick to disappear completely. It shouldn't have any effect on the performance of the axe. I feel your pain. Rick

I use two mauls; the "superspitter" (4 lb head?) mentioned by TreePapa (available at Wallfart), and the M-10 (formerly known as "monster maul" - all iron w/ 10 lb head) from braveproducts.com. Use and old tire on top of a stump to contain your round, or to hold multiple smaller rounds (that should fit in your budget). I use the M-10 for the first split (only when necessary - it's real heavy) - or to quarter it if necessary. I find the supersplitter is most effective when swung at high velocity to finish the job. - - oh yeah, and get a couple pulp hooks - did I mention that before? :cheese:

Here's my new splittin maw : )

Attachments

• yutderyswe.jpg
    yutderyswe.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 887
Caz said:
Here's my new splittin maw : )

Nice, but you need to get her some steel toes before one of thos chunks lands on her sandals... :ahhh:

Similar, but the Fiskars model comes with orange safety boots. Rick

I wouldn't object to having one either, but if we get to many, it might be necessary to move the thread to the ass-can.... ;-P

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I wouldn't object to having one either, but if we get to many, it might be necessary to move the thread to the ass-can.... ;-P

Gooserider

At least wait till i post one of her splitting in her thong : )

A delay would be perfectly understandable. Kevlar safety thongs are all custom made. Rick

Caz said:
At least wait till i post one of her splitting in her thong : )
I get the feeling you're not talking about footwear that the other thong was named after.

fossil said:
A delay would be perfectly understandable. Kevlar safety thongs are all custom made. Rick

My GF asks how you would know? Do you have one yourself? Can she see a picture of you in it?

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
fossil said:

My GF asks how you would know? Do you have one yourself? Can she see a picture of you in it?

Gooserider

HA! I just found this...missed it when you posted it. Believe me, neither you nor she would want to see me in such a thing...can you say SUMO? %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.