Look Out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I almost got run over, sure was moving.

Zap

Attachments

• DSC01739.jpg
    DSC01739.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 730
Happened to me 20 years ago. I was driving down the road and a big buck was running across a field next to the road. At an angle that was going to intersect with me up ahead. I floored the truck and he went right behind the rear bumper. Good for me and him both. The truck was brand new.

I didn't miss.
IMG_4174.jpg

I chased one across a field once (with the truck) because it didn't move when I pulled in the driveway.

I've watched one run into the side of a car in front of me on the highway.
Enough of an impact to deploy the girl's airbag.
She did a good job getting the car stopped and into the breakdown lane without being able to see.
That air bag powder is nasty.

I'd rather have a deer shoot by me out in the woods than three coyotes standing on a ridge watching me.

BrotherBart said:
Happened to me 20 years ago. I was driving down the road and a big buck was running across a field next to the road. At an angle that was going to intersect with me up ahead. I floored the truck and he went right behind the rear bumper. Good for me and him both. The truck was brand new.

I was going into the woods just for a walk with the camera when I heard noise coming from my left and got the camera up just in time to get the picture. Nothing was chasing it.

Zap

I hit one 8 years ago. All I saw was white belly flying over the center guard rail. I must have hit the darn thing right where the airbag sensor was. I thought the airbag was the deer when it hit me. I was going about 60 mph and I could see nothing and couldn't breath either, that powder is nasty! I pulled to the shoulder, set the E brake and bailed before the car even stopped. I was bruised from wrist to wrist by the airbag. I must have just grazed it because there was only $1800 of damage to the car. Funny thing is that growing up and driving all my life in the outskirts of the NYC suburbs and in the country, I end up hitting Bamby about 8 miles out of the Bronx!

I hit one a few years ago that came shooting out from a field, i didnt even have time to react. 65 mph, small doe... she flew up in the air and landed BEHIND me.

Last fall, 11PM. coming home, large doe ran right into the passenger side door and body panel of my pickup. $3000 worth off damages. Life in the boonies!!
Ed

few years ago a Sunday night about 7 heavy traffic coming home from a fruitless 2 days of opening weekend for deer here in WI,one comes tearing across interstate jumps median lands in front of me, hit brakes, I miss it, just as quick floor the go pedal so the guy behind, tailgating, does not plow into me. Car in next lane about 1/2 a length back full body contact. That's all I saw in the side mirror, could hear plenty more though.

Status
Not open for further replies.