1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

look what came to town today....

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ScotO, May 14, 2013.

1. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Either those are some huge wheels or you're vertically challenged:p
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

;lol :p Actually, I'm only 5'10".....but those wheels are close to 6' tall, on the rail. So, maybe a little of BOTH!!

Everything about that locomotive is MASSIVE.....with the loaded tender, it weighs in at 404 TONS.......
    I bet, back in the day, I could bench-press one of those massive driving rods behind me in that picture......probably not so much anymore!!
  3. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    404 TONS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dang and I thought a 380,000lb dry weight transformer we changed was a big pick - well when you see it elevated by a hydraulic crane it's impressive.
    Oh and a Ton of coal every ten miles - How about 220gal/min of diesel fuel? 75,000+ shaft horsepower gas turbine?
    ScotO likes this.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I used to own the 200 ton crane job in the shop at work. We'd regularly lift 340,000lb+ locomotives 50 feet into the air, and travel them over a hundred or more yards to a new set of trucks......first time I did that it was a little nerve-wracking......:confused:
    After a while, you get "used" to it. Flipping 40,000lb trucks end over end with the crane was even more nerve-wracking than lifting a locomotive.....wish I had some video of that.....
  5. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

How cool is that. (I collect RR memorabilia.)
    ScotO likes this.
  6. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Good post Scotty. Interesting. Thanks.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

The 765 has been running excursions all weekend, back and forth from Lewistown, PA to Altoona, PA. Got this video this afternoon at the grade crossing right down the road from my house on the ex-PRR mainline.......too bad it's on my cell phone. Not the greatest quality of video, but it is what it is.....

DAKSY and DevilsBrew like this.
  8. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

I found this on youtube. looks like it is really moving.
    DexterDay, DevilsBrew and ScotO like this.
  9. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    ScotO likes this.
  10. charly

charly Guest

Watched a few programs on the old steam engines... Amazing the dedication that goes into maintaining them.. They are functional works of art! Thanks for posting all of this Scotty! Must have felt great stepping inside that steam engine,,, like going back in time! How cool to get to run one first hand with an Engineer by your side!
    ScotO likes this.
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

My one buddy got to ride in the cab of it going up over the Horseshoe Curve!! He's got some great video of that trip, too! As soon as he brings the SD card with that video into work (he isn't very computer literate) I'll upload it to this thread.....I am excited to see that video myself!!
  12. charly

charly Guest

That had to be a great ride! Can't wait to see the video..
  13. charly

charly Guest

Isn't that where the first wood stove gloves came from,,, steam train engineers? ;)
    ScotO likes this.
  14. WeldrDave

WeldrDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Beautiful Scott;ex, Thanks for sharing that..... I don't know much about trains, but thats simply stunning._g
  15. nate379

nate379 Guest

That's not too bad. If it was using diesel it'd be about 1.5 miles per gallon.

16. ScotO

ScotO Guest

A fantastic video of the Memorial Day weekend excursions on the NKP #765.........

DexterDay likes this.