Look what daddy brought home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I heard some chainsaws close by on Monday, so I moseyed over to see what was cutting. A neighbor had a tree company over to pull down a nice black locust. It had lost a limb over the weekend and they were having the whole tree taken out. Shame really, the core of the tree was totally sound. Anyway, I asked what they were going to do with the wood and the foreman said he thought the boss was going to take it. So I called the boss and spoke with the homeowner to verify and both said they didn't really want the wood.

SCORE! Easy access and close by. Only problem was that the big rounds outweighed me. I put a ramp on the tailgate and my son and I rolled them up into the truck. Just when I thought I was done splitting it looks like I have another pile to whittle down. Considering it's clean hardwood, I am not complaining!

IMG_1194_web.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Good score. I got a half cord of BL earlier in the spring from a couple that took one of them down. Tree company cut it all up and all I had to do was load it and go.

You can't beat that.....close to home and some of the best there is. I've said I am done until fall but some close locust would take me out of retirement.

Reactions: ScotO and blujacket
Good score. I got a half cord of BL earlier in the spring from a couple that took one of them down. Tree company cut it all up and all I had to do was load it and go.

Yep, me too. And they kept the round size to 18" or below so no recuts. Happy camper here.

Some serious BTUs there.
Nice score.
Now get it split to sizes you can handle with out hurting your back ;)
& post a new pic of course.

Reactions: PapaDave
Just when I thought I was done splitting it looks like I have another pile to whittle down.
That's some fairly easy splitting, though...

Way to go, Daddy-O! ::-)

Black Locust - that T6 is gonna be a happy camper munching on that stuff.

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
It's been a good year. I have about 3 cords of hardwood now. This will be stashed and brought out in the coldest part of winter. The rest of the time we will be burning poplar, soft maple and doug fir.

nice score ! Seen a pile of ash by the curb on my way to work the other day, Of course on the way home it was gone.:(

Great score for sure!

Nice score! I always take my Fiskars with me and break those big rounds in to quarters or even smaller so I don't kill myself loading them. Big BL rounds usually split very easily.

nice score ! Seen a pile of ash by the curb on my way to work the other day, Of course on the way home it was gone.:(
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. :confused:

Gotta tell this one, though: Next door neighbor has a maple taken out. She told the tree guy that her neighbor(me) "collected" firewood, to leave it. He told her it was green, and wouldn't do me any good and took it away. I have since educated my neighbor.

Nice score begreen, that will throw some nice heat!

zap

Oh yeah, I love burning locust. And this was cut to just the right length.

It's been a good year. I have about 3 cords of hardwood now. This will be stashed and brought out in the coldest part of winter. The rest of the time we will be burning poplar, soft maple and doug fir.

Sooooooooo you're gonna burn that in juneuary?

Nice score BTW. A C

Excellent.
Very difficult around here to get those kind of scores. Too many dang people burn.

The homeowner burns very occasionally and then in a fireplace. She didn't like locust because "it's hard to light and stinky". I just agreed and said I'd be over in the morning.

Reactions: Locust Post
Status
Not open for further replies.