Look what I found!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Went back to a friends burn pile today. This is a very large estate. I pulled out some split rail fence rails. He assures me that they would never buy pressure treated rails.
These seemed very heavy. They look like oak. Probably been seasoning for 15 yrs.
Wasn't much, not even a face cord, but its nice to be able to burn it after cutting it to size!

Attachments

• Hardwood rails.jpg
    Hardwood rails.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 402
That is different, up here they are made of cedar. Nice score.

zap

zapny said:
That is different, up here they are made of cedar. Nice score.

zap
Most were (I think) cedar. But these others were way too dense for cedar. I know the posts can be made from locust, but I think these are oak! Has anyone seen oak rails for split rail fencing?

You do see white oak rails now and then.

May be Locust.

We have/had a mix of the both on the post & rail in the front of the house, until most of the rails decided to "break" (neighbors kids) Replaced the front and some of the sides with Locust P&R.

The Cedar does make great kindling - nice and dry and light; easy to stack mostly; no paper or fire starter needed to light it off. The Locust takes a little to get going, but you can't beat 15+year seasoning...

Here on my property in the Pacific NW there are many fence posts still standing after close to 100 yrs. I'm told they're the heartwood from oak trees and they never rot.

in my neck of the woods fence posts are locust.

If it burns and it's free, who really cares tho.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.