Look what the cat dragged in! ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Guy back up to my truck this Morning and roll this in a stump! Any guess on what it is? ;-)

Attachments

• hickory stump.jpg
    hickory stump.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 365
Spalted Silver or Sugar Maple?

Thistle said:
Spalted Silver or Sugar Maple?

Close enough there lol, but its shag bark hickory...

Your kidding! I never would have guessed that one in a million years. That's gonna be one gnarly mother in the splitter.

Battenkiller said:
Your kidding! I never would have guessed that one in a million years. That's gonna be one gnarly mother in the splitter.

Yes it is, but that should be the finniest bbq around! I will split it and stash it on top on my stacks spread out.

Great use for it. I did a BBQ this weekend and it broke my heart to have the use good, seasoned firewood splits of cherry and hickory because I don't have any uglies of those woods to burn.

that must be some heck of a cat....

Battenkiller said:
Great use for it. I did a BBQ this weekend and it broke my heart to have the use good, seasoned firewood splits of cherry and hickory because I don't have any uglies of those woods to burn.

I have maybe 15 cords on hand now. Got lots of wood on the ground (Too hot to move now) but will pull a couple more cords before the fall season starts. 20 cords before burning season where I need to be. Selling some of the sugar maple pignut and shagbard reall doesnt even put a small dent in the supply. (And the bbq guys will pay for the time) ;-)

If that spalt is thru the whole piece, you could get some nice looking bowl/turning stock out of it.

I was going to guess box elder (based on the shape). Would have been way wrong.

lukem said:
If that spalt is thru the whole piece, you could get some nice looking bowl/turning stock out of it.

I was going to guess box elder (based on the shape). Would have been way wrong.

Its spaltted all the way through. See what happens when the splitter hit it, but have a good feeling thats its at-least 80 percent solid.

mayhem said:
How the hell big is your cat?!?!

Better call ahead he is big! ;-)

Jay, as long as it was on the truck you should have headed north and I could have taken that awful terrible thing off your hands and disposed of it correctly. I might even let you sit on the milk crate and watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.