Look what the truck delivered on Sunday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Full truckload of nice logs - all ready for me to start working on 'em. Thank god for power splitters. Was told it was mostly maple with a little ironwood and a few oak.

Attachments

• Logpile1.jpg
    Logpile1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,070
  • logpile2.jpg
    logpile2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,088
Heck yea thats eazy bucking!

Now that's some serious BTUs and calories. It will warm you at least twice.

Mighty fine!

What does a load like that cost? How many cords will it produce?

It is stacked so nicely. How long will it take you to process it and use it? Looks like atleast 2 years worth to me and it would take me a month to get bucked and split.

Looks great. Alot of room to work all around it too.

It's should be 7-8 cords (which it was last year) and was $1000 CDN. Prolly take me a couple of months to get it cut/split/stacked at least, gotta wait til the snow melts to stack it properly. Last year my neighbour and I split a load. This year I decided I wanted a full load to get ahead of the curve for the next couple of years.

Very nice pile of logs.
Hope you guys know, you all are just spoiled. Wish I was. :)
Stacked like that just looks like fun bucking.
Good cutting

i can't seem to get any providers interested in delivering log lentghs...they all would rather it be by the truckload cut and split.

nice load.....

cass

bogydave said:
Stacked like that just looks like fun bucking.

No doubt. Put the trenching bucket and thumb on the excavator, swing em around to waist high for 2 guys with saws, 4th guy on the tractor to push the rounds out of the way.

I'm curios about how they deliver a load like that. Do they have a grapple that allows them to place each stick so neatly? Also, can the truck drive over snowy ground without getting stuck? Does it destroy the ground underneath its path. That is, if the truck had to drive over your front lawn to put the logs in your production area, would you still do it? That's my dillemma.

He has a grapple to move the logs and stack. Last year I had them delivered in May and the truck started to crack my driveway, so we dropped it over at my neighbours place since we were splitting that load last year. This year he remembered and wanted to come on a nice cold day when the ground was frozen solid. No issue with the driveway, maybe some dead grass where he rolled the truck on to the lawn, but it's all gonna get killed anyways with the bucking and splitting piles. Luckily I have about 3 acres I can use and that part of my lawn isnt an area we use much expect for the fire pit (which is about 10 ft off to the right out of the picture.

sksmass said:
I'm curios about how they deliver a load like that. Do they have a grapple that allows them to place each stick so neatly? Also, can the truck drive over snowy ground without getting stuck? Does it destroy the ground underneath its path. That is, if the truck had to drive over your front lawn to put the logs in your production area, would you still do it? That's my dillemma.

Look at my avatar- post #7. I or one of these other guys can get you a better pic, I'm sure, if you'd like.
Very heavy truck. My guy wanted to know how dry the ground was when I called him last May. He waited a couple weeks for things to dry up. No concrete to worry about here, but he didn't want to sink.

wow, those are all nice loads of logs! Mine start standing verticle, then fall horizontal, then get limbed, then get bucked then get hauled then get split then get stacked then get hauled then get stacked then get hauled then get stacked then get stuck in the damn stove!

sksmass said:
Ja, I take my deliveries in the coldest part of Winter. I keep the snow off the area for a month prior so the ground can freeze solid enough for the large truck to drive on. Next time I'll ask the guy not to pile it quite so high.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nX0X4MOKcKI/SaGsrfQ0tXI/AAAAAAAAAHo/bw8TpcZYeps/s640/100_0299.JPG

Here's what it looks like after a few days bucking:

Attachments

• bucking1.jpg
    bucking1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 336
  • bucking2.jpg
    bucking2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 334
Looks like you've been busy KB007. I've always thought that would be the best way to get wood if one has to buy it. Just think; no limbing so no brush to handle. Just cut and cut and cut. You could buck up a lot of wood in a day that way for sure.

How do you get the logs off of the pile in order to buck them? Or, do you just stand on the pile and buck the logs while they are still stacked?

Gator, if I were doing it I would cut the wood right right there at the end of the stack but leave it on those skids. I'd also put down one of the logs I cut and put that in between the 2 skids. You can cut from one end, then go to the other end and then work to the middle (where you laid down a short log). The roll the next log to the end and cut away. Just keep doing that through the whole pile. A cant hook comes in very handy for rolling the logs.

That's pretty much it. Just cut a couple in place, then use them to stack to make a "bench" to bring things up to ~2 ft off the ground. Then roll logs onto the "bench" at the end of the pile. Helps a lot to find a couple of small logs to put lengthwise on the pile to use to roll them down. I need it a little off the ground as my back starts to hurt if I do it all bent over low to the ground. I bought a back support this year and find it does help with all the bending too.

Status
Not open for further replies.