Looked at my house with a infrared camera yesterday....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2009
NORTHERN MAINE
The roof glowed some over the stove end of the house.(1000 ft ranch modular home)......but tapered off down the roof line away from the stove..(friend said I needed more insulation,go figure.).Finally today we got some snow and the the place is 5 degree's warmer inside.(4 inches of snow).Nature's insulation cant be underestimated. Other noteworthy thing was my foundation(14 inches exposed above ground) glowed more then the roof...Im definatly gonna Insulate it this summer. Found a product that is a insulating foam with a durable exterior..just have to find a dealer. :roll: Anybody use this product? Pic is my other stove. You can see where the ash can was if you look hard enough,I dont use a vac on this stove , just the shovel and a small trash can.I leave about 2-3 inches of ash on the bottom when cleaning. and no, there is no fluid in the solvent tank in the background..lol http://www.styro.net/FoundationInsulationPanel.htm

Attachments

• 12-03-2011 stove pics 029.jpg
    12-03-2011 stove pics 029.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 541
According to their web site, Lowes or MPG in Presque Isle.

With regards to exterior foam on a foundation, if you have carpenter ants in the area I would avoid putting a foam product on an outside wall as they will find a way eventually to burrow into it and once in there will nest in it. They just love it as they up against a nice warm experior wall and they can tunnel through it with no problems. Sure you can do all sorts of flashing techniquies to keep them from getting in the exterior walls after they have established a nest but with the close proximity they will find a way.

LOL, worried us code police will pay you a visit or something KINGOFTHENORTH ?

What year is the smoke dragon?

I can see the issues of bugs nesting in the foundation might be a problem,no carpenter ants here though. The foundation has 1 inch blue board on the outside of it only to the ground level..Ill definately keep that in mind when I find somebody selling this product.....That old smoke dragon is 6 years old,just updated the flue to selkirk laser welded seam pipe..is a locally made stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.