Looked at the PE Sepctrum & Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Just got back from a couple of stove dealers today. Looked at the PE Spectrum on display with red porcelon finish and gold trim. They also had a Super 27, which I am told is the same stove - just without the fancy trim.

The Spectrum was on sale for about $2200 and the PE Super 27 was on sale for $1400 all black.

The 27 had the pedistal and the Spectrum had legs. I compared the ash boxes and though they were different in shape, looked to hold about the same amount of ashes.

The firebox seemed small to me, I'm thinking if I go the PE route, I might get a Summit.

Thanks,
Bill

Is this for the same drafty, 1000 sq ft space? If so, the Spectrum should do fine. But the best money you can spend will be on sealing up those leaks and insulating. Fixing the heat loss will provide no maintenance savings on heating and cooling year round. It's better than having money in the bank, especially these days.

BeGreen said:
Is this for the same drafty, 1000 sq ft space? If so, the Spectrum should do fine. But the best money you can spend will be on sealing up those leaks and insulating. Fixing the heat loss will provide no maintenance savings on heating and cooling year round. It's better than having money in the bank, especially these days.

This install is for a new addition that is going-on on the other end of the house. It will be a basement install with heat also going up to the main floor.

Thanks!
Bill

Don't base too much of your choice on the ash pan. I have one on my Alderlea T5 (same fire box) and I don't use it very often. It works for the very fine ash but can be difficult to get to close completely and you must take some time to pack the opening very well with ash to make sure it doesn't leak air. Other than that I love my PE!!!

How many sq ft will this be heating? Is that addition much tighter than the house?

BeGreen said:
How many sq ft will this be heating? Is that addition much tighter than the house?

We will have the potential to heat about 1500 sq ft between old and new space. It will be much tighter than the present house, but the adjustant space will still be drafty - for now. The new basement will be open to the extent that it sets under the addition. Above it will be two bedrooms and a bath and a foyer and stairwell down to the basement. Off of that is a kitchen from the old structure. Adjustent to the new basement will be a door leading into the old basement which is very much uninsulated - it is a workshop and some of the heat, when that shop is in use, will be open and some heat funneled into it. So the ideal set-up would include a convection type stove with a blower to circulate some air.

Thanks!
Bill

Thanks,
Bill

I have the Super 27 and it heats our house (around 1800 sq ft) nicely. The house is also very well insulated, and gets alot of passive solar heat as well, mind you. The PE is a great stove - lots of heat, long clean burns. As others have said - never mind the ash clean out/pan. They don't work that well. I never use mine - it's just easier to shovel the ash out the front. I would not hestitate to get another PE stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.