Looking Across Town

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
When I went back in the woods today I decided to check on some blow down up top and took this picture. Its across town , zoomed in at 24x.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0317.jpg
    100_0317.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 585
Nice pic! There's a town down there? Must be a deep valley. We don't have any big hills and valleys where I live. A few bluffs.

quads said:
Nice pic! There's a town down there? Must be a deep valley. We don't have any big hills and valleys where I live. A few bluffs.

One country store,one bar and one bar & restaurant. We live in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

Zap

I think it's fascinating to see what the countryside looks like where other people live. I've only been out of Wisconsin twice in my life (I'm 6th generation, my ancestors moved here many years before it became a state).

Here is a picture I took from the top of one of our bluffs. As you can see, nothing but flat with the occasional little bluff (one of our towns is named Big Flats, another is Grand Marsh, Dell Prairie, Strongs Prairie, etc.). Wisconsin does have some hillier areas, but nothing like what you have:
IMG_3205.jpg

quads said:
I think it's fascinating to see what the countryside looks like where other people live. I've only been out of Wisconsin twice in my life (I'm 6th generation, my ancestors moved here many years before it became a state).

Here is a picture I took from the top of one of our bluffs. As you can see, nothing but flat with the occasional little bluff (one of our towns is named Big Flats, another is Grand Marsh, Dell Prairie, Strongs Prairie, etc.). Wisconsin does have some hillier areas, but nothing like what you have:
IMG_3205.jpg

Super view quads, looks great. If I may ask what type of woods do you burn?

zap

quads said:
I think it's fascinating to see what the countryside looks like where other people live.

We have big NS running ridges and lakes compliments of glaciers past.

Attachments

• winter sunset.jpg
    winter sunset.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 341
SolarAndWood said:
quads said:
I think it's fascinating to see what the countryside looks like where other people live.

We have big NS running ridges and lakes compliments of glaciers past.

Solar great picture it looks like there is a fire on the ridge, have you burned the christmas tree yet?

lol, no, it isn't seasoned yet.

We're at ~3600 ft in the central Oregon high desert. The reason it's a "desert" is the Cascade Range just to the west of us. One of the most extreme rain shadows in the world. Just beyond those mountains to the west lies the Willamette Valley, parts of which can see upwards of 80" of precipitation/yr. Over here on the east side of the range, we average around 12"/yr. Here are a couple views to the west from our digs. (the hay field & barns belong to my neighbor down the bluff, not me). Rick

Attachments

• cascades1.jpg
    cascades1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 317
  • cascades2.jpg
    cascades2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 320
Thats beautiful Fossil. I'd love to end up out that way but I dont think my wife will ever let it happen... :-S

fossil said:
We're at ~3600 ft in the central Oregon high desert. The reason it's a "desert" is the Cascade Range just to the west of us. One of the most extreme rain shadows in the world. Just beyond those mountains to the west lies the Willamette Valley, parts of which can see upwards of 80" of precipitation/yr. Over here on the east side of the range, we average around 12"/yr. Here are a couple views to the west from our digs. (the hay field & barns belong to my neighbor down the bluff, not me). Rick

Looks great, must be a great place to live.

zap

Great pictures! You guys all have some stunning views. Where I live is called the central sands, an ancient lake bed. The last glaciers didn't quite cover this spot and when they melted, formed a lake for awhile with a sandy bottom.

I burn oak almost exclusively (mostly black and maybe 15% white), an occasional choke cherry, I burned a maple once and didn't like it but don't know what kind of maple it was, and I have my very first ash (green ash I think) seasoning somewhere in one of the stacks. Choke cherry is my favorite firewood.
zapny said:
Super view quads, looks great. If I may ask what type of woods do you burn?

zap

Fossil,

Great pics.
Was there 25 yrs ago and skied Mt. Hood and Mt. Bachelor. What was more amazing than the skiing was the dramatic difference in weather as we climbed up the ridge from the ocean to travel to Mt. Bachelor. We went from 45ish and drizzle near the ocean to full onset blizzard at the mountain and then when we headed further east, maybe 10 miles, not a flake of snow or drop of rain. I was amazed that the landscape was desertish only 10 mines east of the Cascades.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.