Looking at a Grampa Bear tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
I'm going to pick up a rear-vent Grampa Bear tomorrow that I plan to use in my new shop. In photos of seen, it looks good. Anything in particular I should look for when I inspect it?
thanks,
-john

the main thing I would look for is if the sides or back are warped because of not keeping firebrick in it. If the doors are shut pull a handle back towards you. If there is play then it is leaking air. Your control of the fire with the drafts caps will be limited. See if the draft caps spin on the bolts. Other than that it is appearance. That is depending on what you are willing to deal with. Some here think a baffle should be added. That is an option.

So is Cam Fan a Baffle Fan too? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.