Looking at a new saw, ideas/thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
I am looking for a new saw,... maybe,... if I can afford,... OK I thought maybe with a profit sharing check down the road? I like my 350, it does about 85-90% of what I ask it to, but I have found myself wanting more guts every now and then, more frequently lately. I am thinking about the 460 rancher, or the 359 in the husky line, and I don't know much about the stihl. Those are the only two dealers we have locally. I want to look at the upper 50's to low 60's cc range, with a 20" bar. (The 350 is 50 cc with about 3.2 HP) The dealer is trying to sell me a 455 rancher at 56 cc, and 3.5 HP, but I think I want the bigger one? Your input, ideas, comments, thoughts?

If you can find a dealer, get a Dolmar 7900 for the big cojones thrill of going through logs like you had a light saber... I haven't tried one but I've also heard tons of positive comments on the Dolmar 5100's as well...

Gooserider

Sounds like your budget is around $500. Husky 359 would be a good saw. The Stihl alternative is the 390 or for another $100 the 361. I believe the 357xp runs $650 or so. The 361 is better for the price. The 455 is comparable to the 290 for more money and the 460 is comparable to the 310 for more money. Either of these two Stihls would be the better choice.

running a 20 in bar a dolmar 5100(50 cc) the stihl 260pro (50 cc) or 361(59cc) all will run a 20 in bar very well! When buying a saw need to keep in mind what there worth used you will get most of your money back on a pro saw if you ever need to sell it!

I seem to be the PITA lately, but I wouldn't run a 20" bar on a 260. I have an 18" bar on it, and in hardwood it can bog down a tad, so that's prolly the limit.

I would be looking at Dolmar for value right now- no direct experience, but lots of good reviews and the price is right.

I wouldn't either Adios. My 260 is wearing a 16". He could mod the muffler and get the EPA stolen power back and run a 20" though.

HittinSteel said:
I wouldn't either Adios. My 260 is wearing a 16". He could mod the muffler and get the EPA stolen power back and run a 20" though.
Yes sir now your thinking!

I have plans for mine when the warranty runs out involving a fully adjustable Walbro 194 carb, a drill and a tachometer.

HittinSteel said:
I have plans for mine when the warranty runs out involving a fully adjustable Walbro 194 carb, a drill and a tachometer.
That 260 will come alive and be as strong or stronger than the 361 stock

jeffman3 said:
I am looking for a new saw,... maybe,... if I can afford,... OK I thought maybe with a profit sharing check down the road? I like my 350, it does about 85-90% of what I ask it to, but I have found myself wanting more guts every now and then, more frequently lately. I am thinking about the 460 rancher, or the 359 in the husky line, and I don't know much about the stihl. Those are the only two dealers we have locally. I want to look at the upper 50's to low 60's cc range, with a 20" bar. (The 350 is 50 cc with about 3.2 HP) The dealer is trying to sell me a 455 rancher at 56 cc, and 3.5 HP, but I think I want the bigger one? Your input, ideas, comments, thoughts?

I got a little off track..... what is your price ceiling?

I have been cutting with the Rancher 455 with a 20" bar for three years now. I only cut Hedge/Osage Orange. The trees average 24"-30" dia. We have been burning about 8-9 tons a year. I have been more than happy with it. Have never had a bit of problems.

Hi,

I had a 359 and traded it for a 346XP. Same power, but lighter and a narrower chain. What a difference. The saw does not bog down anymore, I loose less wood in chips and it is much safer because I don't have any kickbacks anymore.

I would suggest a 357XP if you really want that size. Or the similar one from Stihl or Dolmar/johnsered.

Thanks

carpniels

AOD said:
I wouldn't be saying that you're having "no more kickback". That's really taunting the saw gods.

I had the 395 kick back a bit during a bore cut a few weeks ago, I am glad I wasn't going WOT with that thing.
my 460 has never kick back always thinking about it "kick back" just never happen yet

I picked up a Stihl 361 a couple months ago and it really goes through everything I need it to and I cut a goodly amount of 20-30" logs. Not a problem.

I have a 290, which I crushed the handle on a few weeks ago (cost 300 have it fixed, so I did it myself creatively for about 38.00), and a 270 I bought as a backup to the 290, both with 20 inch blades so I could share bars and chains. The 290 definitely more powerful, doesn't bog down quite as much in very thick wood, but the 270 is much lighter and easier to cut with, even though I have to back off of it a little more often. I still reach for my 290 though when I go out cutting, the 270 gets used when I run the 290 out of gas, or dull the chain, but I kinda think that is just habit. Let me know if you want to come by and try them, just to compare.

jeffman3 said:

All the cool kids are buying Dolmers.

Echo makes a pretty sweet 80cc unit that is a couple hundred less than comparable Stihls and Husqvarnas.

I would recommend the Dolmar 5100...if you have a dealer around. I would be the first to admit the dealer network is spotty as it is with Tanaka, Redmax, Efco, etc. which are all good saws. At the price point it is pretty hard to beat Dolmar. I liked mine so well, I bought my boy one. He didn't think much of it 'till he ran it. Now his Stihl 028 just sits there. Just food for thought. Got both of ours cheaper than TSC was selling the Husky 455.

if you already have a decent 50 cc saw, I'd skip the 346-5100-026. They are much better saws, do the lighter jobs better, and do the big stuff ok but with a light touch. But, they are basically doing what you do now but better. I cut for years withy an 026 is 'big' saw and it worked, great compard to the old poulan. but light touch in big stuff.

If you get mostly trunks 24 and up, I'd go at least 361, or 7900/372/stihl 460. Big time saved in bucking logs. Then down the road, fill in the 50-55 cc with a lighter pro limbing saw. The Dolmar 64 is dirt cheap on ebay usually, then think of the 79 or 85cc top end later.

OTOH, if just an occasional big trunk, you won't save enough time to warrant a bigger saw, compared to improving the times limbing and small stuff. Then I'd start off with a good 50-55 cc one. Or, if you have a junky saw now, I'd upgrade to good 55cc.

Sounds like you have a decent saw now, so I would go substantially bigger.

kcj

My saw is just over a year old and it is a great saw. It really does do most of what I need, my main concern is I do get into some big stuff. Some of it very big stuff. (Our local tree dump is a great source of wood.) Some of the stuff there is really big. The 350 has a 20 inch bar and it will do the job, but I have to take it real easy. With the bar buried it bogs down pretty easy. I am thinking that it just won't last if I continue to cut the big stuff, and pull that hard on the motor.

smokinj said:
AOD said:
I wouldn't be saying that you're having "no more kickback". That's really taunting the saw gods.

I had the 395 kick back a bit during a bore cut a few weeks ago, I am glad I wasn't going WOT with that thing.
my 460 has never kick back always thinking about it "kick back" just never happen yet
I bought a 460 off ebay and the first time I used it, it about broke my leg. It came straight back and hit me in my thigh and I thought I broke it. Sold it soon after, and bought a 7900 and love it.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
smokinj said:
AOD said:

I bought a 460 off ebay and the first time I used it, it about broke my leg. It came straight back and hit me in my thigh and I thought I broke it. Sold it soon after, and bought a 7900 and love it.

Shipper
if it ever does kick back i am sure its not going to be fun, been using it a little over a year now.( Bought brand new) Won't judge the 460's by a fle bay saw

Shipper50 said:
smokinj said:
AOD said:

Shipper

You know any saw can kick back, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.