Looking at a used Breckwell Big E with opt hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman460

Hearth Supporter
Apr 30, 2008
SE Nebraska
HI, I'm new to the pellet/corn stove world, and I'm looking at a used Breckwell Big E with optional hopper for $950. From what I read that's a pretty good deal. The stove is pretty clean, but naturally I'll want to see it run before I buy.

I called Breckwell and gave them the serial number. It's a 2005 model, and has no warranty history. That's a good sign to me.

Anything I need to look out for with this particular stove?

Thanks!
Pat

sandman460 said:

Thanks!
Pat

The convetion blower motor.The new "updated" one is much better.Does it have the big window & slide out ash bin??

Yup, has the big window with ash bin. I assume I can purchase the updated blower motor and install that myself (i'm pretty handy that way), correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks!

sandman460 said:
Yup, has the big window with ash bin. I assume I can purchase the updated blower motor and install that myself (i'm pretty handy that way), correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks!

It's easy to do.It looks like it's an easy well running stove.i only had that one problem with it at the early part of winter last season.when i go to bed it's going it's thing,when i rise it's still doing it with no complaints.

sandman460 said:
HI, I'm new to the pellet/corn stove world, and I'm looking at a used Breckwell Big E with optional hopper for $950. From what I read that's a pretty good deal. The stove is pretty clean, but naturally I'll want to see it run before I buy.

I called Breckwell and gave them the serial number. It's a 2005 model, and has no warranty history. That's a good sign to me.

Thanks!
Pat

is the "big E " rated for corn???

just curious

stoveguy2esw said:
sandman460 said:

Thanks!
Pat

is the "big E " rated for corn???

just curious

I dont think so????????????????????????????????????

sandman460 said:
According to Breckwell, you can burn up to a 1/3 corn-2/3 pellet mixture.

no one has corn where i am

Corn is VERY bad for Pellet stoves
Duravent Spend Millions of dollars Making a Stainless Pipe for Corn vent that could take the CORROSIVENESS of corn venting.
what people forget is 99% of all Corn pellet stoves used Iron to make the stove.
and the COMBUSTION blowers (CONNECTED TO THE VENT) are made of LOW GRADE galvanized sheetmetal that will degrade when burning HIGHLY CORROSIVE CORN.

I predict anyone using a 40% mix or more of corn in a PELLET/CORN stove will need to Replace the combustion blower in 3 years or less
and in 5 years the heat exchange and combustion chambers will be burned up.

My 5 cents

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't plan on burning corn in my stove (just because of the high price right now), but this is good information to file away for future use. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.