looking at an old Stihl 031AV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozarkjeep

Nov 6, 2006
is this saw worth $100? the lake of inertia chain brake scares me a little.
although ive never used the one on my 024.

its local to me, and im told it runs well.

ITs older and larger than the stihls ive worked with.

Attachments

• sa1.jpg
    sa1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 570
  • saw2.jpg
    saw2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 523
Ozark,

The absence of a chain brake makes it not worth $100. As I recall, they are tough to get parts for as well.

Larry D

I have an 032 My father bought in 1978 it is very hard to find parts. The saw your looking at seems to be older. I think the chain brake gaurd would be next to impossible to find maybe only on Ebay.

thanks for the feedback guys!

Ill pass it up, looking for a larger saw to share between my father, and a freind of mine, for all of our firewood scrounging needs.
Id rather have a safe one!

Thanks!

Hello there! I work on chainsaws professionally and I have to say I wouldn't pay more than $25 for that saw. It's very old (late 70's?), there's no brake, and many of the parts for that saw are not available anymore. Stihl makes a great saw, but one like that and you're asking for trouble.

thanks again for the input guys!

good and bad!

I will call the guy, and go look at the saw, if it starts and runs well and has a good chain, Ill offer $30 for it.

It might be worth more in parts on ebay!

cmonSTART said:
Hello there! I work on chainsaws professionally and I have to say I wouldn't pay more than $25 for that saw. It's very old (late 70's?), there's no brake, and many of the parts for that saw are not available anymore. Stihl makes a great saw, but one like that and you're asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.