looking at buying napoleon nps45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roundeye

Jan 16, 2011
eastern kansas
I was wondering what extras I'll be needing to install this stove? Does it come with a pad to sit on and should I get the vent kit for $53 or can I buy the pieces at home depot for cheaper.

you can get an air kit on dynamite.com for about $30. Napoleon has one for about $53. I regret not having the OAK put on in my initial installation. I noted a big change once I put mine on.
Try different pellets. They are not all the same. Ck the stove manual for operation settings. Napoleon stoves are easy to run, easy to clean. Cleaning this stove is key to good performance.

check with Sean at dynamitebuys.com, i got mine cheaper with the gold door trim, shipped to my house.

BTW - what radiant panels are you referring to?

I saw it but didn't know the difference.

ok.

Sent you a PM

Just want to do a fast cheap hearth pad for my stove for now. I was thinking some concrete board and then use some 12 or 18 inch paver's on top of that, would that work and would I just use mortar

should work, in my case i used a hardibacker board and then thinset and tiles on top.

I bought those black reflective panels. They sit still warped up. I should have read the reviews first. Just something more to clean, Like the artificial logs. I have them also and regret the purchase.

save$ is right, i thought about getting that cosmetic brick panel but after looking at reviews decided not to get it.

My house is 1100 sq ft. And I plan on putting the stone in the dining room which is in the center of the house. I want this stove to heat the whole house but am not sure how well it will do.

roundeye said:
My house is 1100 sq ft. And I plan on putting the stone in the dining room which is in the center of the house. I want this stove to heat the whole house but am not sure how well it will do.

If the house is pretty tight and has an open floor plan? You should be darn close. Each install, Layout and home is different. Only sure way is install and see how it goes. But I always recommend larger just to have some BTU's on the extreme weather days. If you have some alternative heating source to assist the pellet burner. Your good to go. A couple of fans to help distribute the heat will also help greatly, One on the floor pointing at the stove does a dandy job!

jay is right, a bit larger is always better.

In my case i have a 2-story colonial with around 1,900 sq. ft. for the 2 levels and the stove is my 'primary' heat source currently. For these cold days i set the unit on heat range 4 and it seems to be keeping up. Check other stoves as well to do your math.

What type of house do you have?

Its a 1905 bungalow. The rooms are all pretty close together and I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen, living, and dining room which all connect. The only two rooms that wouldn't get much heat is th back spare room and the bathroom

Consider a heat loss audit. You can do this yourself or hire one done. If your home is tight as Jay mentioned, and well insulated, a good size stove should keep you just as snug as you ever wanted to be. Make sure you include OAK, or you will have a draft, or if home is tight, poor performance. My stove in on the lower level of a raised ranch and handles the heating needs of 2100 sq feet until it get below 15 F outside. Then the furnace kicks in for a few minutes every couple of hours.

Oh I see, im really worried about catching the house on fire, so I plan on using ceramic tile on the floor which is a 4' x 3.5' area and then on the wall about 6' up. For the floor I was going to get a sheet of 3/4" plywood and cut two sections out of it and stack it on top of each other then put concrete board over that with ceramic tile. Would I need to attach it to the wood floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.