Looking at cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad wilton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2014
quebec
Hi guys, just wondering on a cat stove for the other section of house.400sq ft better insulated than stone section will be running to stoves,thinking on longer burn times so as not to have to load two stoves every 7 hours.any suggestions.forgot to ad twelve foot ceilings,thanks for any help.

Well I can tell you a bit about our setup. We have a 1900sq ft home (which is about the size of 2400 with the open loft) that we heat with a Hearthstone Equinox it is a Cat stove and we get only about 8 hours worth of burn time. We can relight without matches up to about 10. That is burning maple and cherry, the burn is exceptionally clean and the heat is exceptionally consistent. The home is two years old and well insulated, we typically leave at 6:30 in the morning and get back home around 3pm. The temp will drop with a full load from 70 to 63 degrees on a 0 degree day. Ok I guess (part of why were looking into a gassification boiler with storage). Getting used to the Cat is easy and runs like a top, I know hearthstone sells a few different size stoves. I too though with my burn times were longer though :/

About the same with what i have now it seems,i know the blazeking has some good burn times but kind of ugly so the wife says. I will see what other people say about theirs thanks for info

Have you looked at the BK Chinook, Sirocco or Ashford lines?

Well I can tell you a bit about our setup. We have a 1900sq ft home (which is about the size of 2400 with the open loft) that we heat with a Hearthstone Equinox it is a Cat stove and we get only about 8 hours worth of burn time. We can relight without matches up to about 10. That is burning maple and cherry, the burn is exceptionally clean and the heat is exceptionally consistent. The home is two years old and well insulated, we typically leave at 6:30 in the morning and get back home around 3pm. The temp will drop with a full load from 70 to 63 degrees on a 0 degree day. Ok I guess (part of why were looking into a gassification boiler with storage). Getting used to the Cat is easy and runs like a top, I know hearthstone sells a few different size stoves. I too though with my burn times were longer though :/

Hearthstone does not make cat stoves. That equinox is a noncat. The same size stove from blaze king can burn for 40 hours because, mostly, it is a cat stove.

Reactions: webby3650
The bk 20 looks like it will pass the bosses criteria lol .the wood around here seems to range from 18 to 21% moisture content would i be risking the cat with that kind of moisture content.

The bk 20 looks like it will pass the bosses criteria lol .the wood around here seems to range from 18 to 21% moisture content would i be risking the cat with that kind of moisture content.
No you will not. These stoves handle less than stellar wood with no problem. I don't know how this rumor ever got started, the cats stoves I've had handle under seasoned wood much better than non cats I've had! The bypass damper plays a big role in this, just leave it open longer if your wood is not so good.

Hearthstone does not make cat stoves. That equinox is a noncat. The same size stove from blaze king can burn for 40 hours because, mostly, it is a cat stove.

Wow, I feel stupid. It does gassify exhaust gasses through the burn tubes on the top of the box but I was unaware of the differences! Thanks for clarifying and I will look into it.

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.