Looking at food processors....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant find a FP that grates potato's to the right consistency for potato cakes. either they make soup or hash browns, nothing in between.
I have used the Cuisinart's shedder (grater?) blade for hash browns. They come out nicely.

I have used the Cuisinart's shedder (grater?) blade for hash browns. They come out nicely.
hash browns is easy and almost every food processor can do them but why no one makes a finer shredding, grating blade to make potato cake the consistency of hand grated ones. Anyone who ever grated potatos by hand knows how painful not to mention blood and skin in the mix that can be.

The problem with most of these is it makes strings of various diameters .Where as the hand grater make small peices. about the size of half grain of rice.
It would be worth a try though.

I only get different lengths, not diameters. What brand and disc grater have you tried?

Cuisinart is almost synonymous with food processing. We have had the same large Cuisinart for over 25 years. It is built for commercial service and still works great.

What he said, but I have only had mine for 15 years... they last forever. Well, almost. I had a baby one for a while, but the metal mixing blade broke after 5 years on that one. The large pro model in my kitchen is the real deal.

hash browns is easy and almost every food processor can do them but why no one makes a finer shredding, grating blade to make potato cake the consistency of hand grated ones. Anyone who ever grated potatos by hand knows how painful not to mention blood and skin in the mix that can be.

Au contraire, Cuisinart makes a fine shredding disc, included in this set,

cuisinart disks.jpg

You can also buy it alone on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-834TX-Shredding-11-Cup-Processors/dp/B00004S9CA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377240847&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=DLC-7 cuisinart Disc Set

MM another very good brand is breville. They are built very very well. Our cooking classes in school used them and they where donations from a bakery. The school liked them so much we ended up buying more new mixers and they although 15 years newer where just as good.

Pete

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.