Looking at getting a new stove which of these do you recommend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tko-kid

Oct 27, 2009
missouri
I was looking at getting one of these two stoves any recommendations on them http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=135215-76845-50-SFP12LC&lpage=none

or this one http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=8492-76845-50-SNC13LC&lpage=none

I am going to install this in the back of my garage where my old franklin stove is by martin stove.

so either one will be a huge improvement over it.

What I was planning on doing is leaving the garage door open and letting the heat come into the house through it. How well do you think this would work.

my garage is about 380 square feet and my house is about 980 with the bump outs and 936 with out them and one is kitchen cabinets.

I was thinking I may need to put a box fan in the door way blowing in to help circulate the air.

How much heat do you think we would actually get inside the house from one of these.

I am leaning more towards the model that heats 1,800 square feet or 60,000 btu's

I attached a sketch of my house so you could see the basic layout.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• house sketch.png
    house sketch.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 490
Since I've just bought the 13 I'll recommend it.

Go to http://englandsstoveworks.com/sh_wood_stoves.html for a little more info from the manuf on both stoves. The 12 is "exempt" from EPA approval.

With the 13 you can build any size fire you like. It's versatile

Description of which rooms are which would help. A=Living room, B=Front door, ect....

Were you heating any portion of the house with the old stove?

My first thought is the 1800 sq.ft model nc13? You might even consider going with the nc30 model 2200sq tf.

If at all possible consider placing the stove in room A,

learnin to burn said:
Description of which rooms are which would help. A=Living room, B=Front door, ect....

Were you heating any portion of the house with the old stove?

My first thought is the 1800 sq.ft model nc13? You might even consider going with the nc30 model 2200sq tf.

If at all possible consider placing the stove in room A,

sorry the garage is room C and has an existing chimney already installed with our franklin stove.

Unfortunately it would be almost impossible to get a wood stove put in inside our home because of local codes. we live in a very urban area and wood stoves are not looked to highly upon because of that. Every one thinks it will burn down your house and take theirs with it. so nothing inside room A would work because needing to add a new chimney to install there. which isn't entiely impossible but pretty close. Most times when a home in this area is sold with an existing stove or fireplace they try to get you to just cap it off.

The old stove does not heat any portion of the house but then again it can't even really heat the entire garage, a space heater does it much easier, but not as cheap, since we have a never ending supply of firewood.

so do you all think it is possible to get any heat in the house with this stove with a ceiling fan added to the garage and putting it in reverse as well as putting a box fan in the doorway blowing in.

ok here is an edited version of my house layout.

as you can see my existing stove is in the back of room C which is the garage and about half down the garage is the door into the house. and then the layout of the house

Sorry I oversized the kitchen living room and dining room so the bed rooms look really small.

thanks for all the help so far

Attachments

• house sketch1.png
    house sketch1.png
    2 KB · Views: 398
Seems odd. Usually a stove is preferred in the house long before it's allowed in the garage. Have you checked code for putting a wood stove in a garage?

it was already there. So it is grandfathered in I guess. Not entirely sure of that though.

Don't want to sound rude or abrupt, but I really don't think this idea's gonna do anything good for you, regardless of which stove you pick to put way out there in the end of the garage. If you want to heat your living space with a woodstove, then you need to put the woodstove in your living space. They're "space heaters". Rick

I think putting a stove into the garage . . . any stove really . . . will not really give you the results you want in terms of being able to heat the home. What I mean to say is that in general folks recommend putting the woodstove in, or as close as possible, to the area where you will be spending most of your waking time (in my case the living room) as this will be where most of the heat will be. You can use some fans to help move the heat to adjoining rooms and the natural convection of heat rising will help move the heated air as well . . . but in the lay-out providing I cannot help but think that most of the heat will be in the garage and not a lot of the heat will migrate to the living areas.

In general we usually even encourage folks to not install a stove in the basement (partly due to the properties of the cement and drafting issues), but at least with a basement install you will have some heat rising upwards. In your case however, you wouldn't really get that advantage. On the plus side however . . . your home is relatively small . . . but I still think putting a large woodstove in the garage to get more heat to the living area would just make the garage incredibly hot.

If you really cannot install the stove in the living area then I would suggest your next best alternative would be a wood furnace or wood boiler hooked to existing ductwork or baseboard type heating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.